Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review: The Lord of Illusion by Kathryne Kennedy

The Lord of Illusion (The Elven Lords, #3)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca   
ISBN:1402236549 
Pages:448 pages
Genre: Romance/Fantasy/Elves  
Series-Elven Lords 1,2 
Challenges-TK
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

He'll do anything to save her...
Rebel Lord Drystan Hawkes dreams of fighting for England's freedom. He gets his chance when he finds a clue to opening the magic portal to Elfhame, and he must race to find the slave girl who holds the key to the mystery. But even as Drystan rescues Camille Ashton from Dreamhame Palace, it becomes unclear exactly who is saving whom.
For the fate of humankind lies with Camille...
Enslaved for years in a realm where illusion and glamour reign, Camille has learned to trust nothing and no one. But she's truly spellbound when she meets Drystan—a man different from any she's ever known, and the force of their passion may yet be strong enough to banish the Elven Lords from this world forever.


My Review: 

I have stalked this series like a rabid fangirl since the first book in the series, The Fire Lord’s Lover. It was amazing. The second book, The Lady of the Storm, was less of a favorite but still great. This one was a great read but still not on par with The Fire Lord’s Lover but I don’t think any book will be.

Camille was the type of heroine you can go years and years without finding. She was so strong and capable. She was a slave with all the abuse and bad treatment that goes with it and she never gave up and never gave in. Kennedy always manages to create amazing heroines that would know a damsel if they kicked one in the kneecap. Drystan was an okay hero. I think I would have liked him more if I didn’t have the comparison to Dominic. Dominic is my benchmark and, somehow, I think all the heroes in this series will fall short. He was so bad where Drystan is just such a nice guy. I have always liked the bad boys better.

I am one of those crazy people who like jealousy, angst and a bit of emotional turmoil in their romance novels. I know it’s weird but it really is something I look for—that bit of heartfail before the happy ending. I don’t think I got it in this one. The chemistry between Camille and Drystan was rather sweet and actually a bit co-dependent. There was very little angst or tension. But I did like how sweet they were with each other so I didn’t find that I missed the tension all that much. I am also a big fan of battle scenes of any form. It’s the history major in me. The battle scenes in The Lord of Illusion were amazing. They were so detailed.

If you like LOTR, you will love this series. I cannot wait for Kathryne Kennedy’s next book.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio