Search Me!


Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: The Rancher and the Rock Star by Lizbeth Selvig

The Rancher and the Rock StarPublisher: Avon Impulse   
Pages:432 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Western  
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

To the world, Gray Covey is a rock superstar. But to his runaway son, he's simply the father who never has any time for him. To prove that he's more than his rock star lifestyle, for the next few weeks Gray must put aside his fame and become...a farmhand?

Abby Stadtler has built the perfect, quiet life for herself. Neat and orderly is the name of the game for her and her beloved farm. When Gray shows up on her doorstep, looking like he stepped straight off the front cover of a magazine, she is determined that he won't upset her routine.

But what neither counts on is the love that springs up between them. Abby knows that life on a ranch in Minnesota can never compete with an exciting world tour. But for Gray, it's time to decide what's really important. With Abby's help, will he be able to decide, once and for all, that love and family are the answer?

My Review: 

This was my first book as one of Avon’s Addicts. I danced for joy and them immediately started reading this book. It’s not my usual style but it’s definitely good.

Abby was one of those heroines that I had mixed feelings about. I really liked her. I did. But sometimes her need to do everything for herself became a bit obnoxious. I can understand the need to be independent but when the need to be independent inhibits your ability to survive, it becomes a problem. For instance, when Gray bought her horse Gucci back, Abby was not happy or grateful. She was angry. I did not understand that at all. I do like her strength and independence but wish she had been able to let go of her pride just a little. I loved Gray. I am always happy to find a good rock star hero. He had all of the typical bells and whistles that go with such a hero—fans, paparazzi, crazy agents, scandals. But he was also very kind and very sweet.  He also has a bit of the same stubborn pride that Abby has which, pretty much, makes them perfect for each other.

I loved so much about this book. I loved the chemistry between Abby and Gray. They had this great push and pull. They were also older than I am used to seeing which I really liked. The small-town feel of the book was great---this city girl loves small towns for some weird reason. It was also refreshing to see these two single parents bond over their kids. It was perfect because Abby had already made a connection to Dawson and Abby’s daughter, Kim, was fangirl over Gray. It was an interesting dynamic. The only criticism I have is that I did not like the constant use of God and religion. I am usually not prepared for it if I am not reading Christian fiction. And I do have to be prepared for it. But other than that I really did enjoy this book.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio