Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Confessions Of A Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman by JB Lynn

Confessions Of A Slightly Neurotic HitwomanPublisher: Avon Impulse   
ISBN:0062134639 
Pages:400 pages
Genre: Fiction/Humor 
Challenges-TK
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb



Summary from publisher:

Maggie Lee is not your average hitwoman. For one thing, she's never killed anyone. For another, after hitting her head in the car accident that killed her sister, her new best friend is a talking lizard—a picky eater, obsessed withWheel of Fortune, that only Maggie can hear.

Maggie, who can barely take care of herself, is desperate to help her injured and orphaned niece get the best medical care possible, so she reluctantly accepts a mobster's lucrative job offer: major cash to kill his monstrous son-in-law.

Paired with Patrick Mulligan, a charming murder mentor (who happens to moonlight as a police detective), Maggie stumbles down her new career path, contending with self-doubt, three meddling aunts, a semi-psychic friend predicting her doom, and a day job she hates. Oh, and let's not forget about Paul Kowalski, the sexy beat cop who could throw her ass in jail if he finds out what she's up to.

Training has never been so complicated! And, this time, Maggie has to get the job done. Because if she doesn't . . . she's the mob's next target.


My Review: 

I had no idea what I was getting into then I started reading this book. I knew I would be laughing but, honestly, I didn’t know if I would be laughing for good or for bad reasons. But I am happy to report that I laughed for the best reason possible—this book was hilarious. Roll on the floor hilarious.

Maggie was awesome. I have never come across a heroine so funny that should induced honest hysterical laughter from me. She was like a combination of Lucille Ball, Thelma and Louise, and Laverne and Shirley. That’s the only way I can think to describe her. She was hilarious. She tended to trip and fall into the right answers. She talks to animals (specifically a lizard named God and a dog named Doomsday). But she was also a legitimate hitwoman and got the job done when she had to. There is just something so everywoman about her that you will be cheering for her by the end in spite of her job.

Now, in this one, there was not really any love interest. I know what you’re thinking. Grace is reading a book without a romance plot? Well, yes she is. But there were two legitimate contenders for Maggie’s love interest. Contestant number 1 is Patrick. He’s her mentor on the murder side of things who also happens to be a detective. He was mysterious and I spent the whole book debating whether he was a legitimate crooked cop or undercover. I am leaning towards undercover simply because I liked him so much. Contestant number 2 is Paul. He’s the cop that Maggie goes on a couple of dates with. He also was a bit of a mystery because he had a weird fascination with jewels and robbers. I am leaning towards Patrick because I have a thing for gingers.

My favorite parts of this book had nothing to do with what pairing I liked best. My favorite part of this book was God. As in Godzilla, the lizard with the voice of Alan Rickman, a love for TV game shows and the personality of a haughty Englishman. He was Maggie’s internal voice of logic. I could have read a book just about him. Doomsday was also great. She was a dog with the voice of Anna Nicole Smith and with a Yoda-like sentence structure. Both were clearly novelties but so indispensible to the plot. I kind of need the next book right now. I am prepared to beg for one. I need to know what happens, who Maggie ends up with, and, most of all, I need more of the awesome dynamic between Maggie, God and Doomsday. Fan of Janet Evanovich will definitely want to pick this one up.

By the way and totally off topic, those shoes in that cover are epic.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Confessions! For a lot of the same reasons you did. I think I'm rooting a bit more for Patrick than Paul. I'm suspicious of Paul.

    Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio