Search Me!


Monday, March 5, 2012

Review: Delicacy by David Foenkinos

Delicacy: A NovelPublisher: Harper Perennial   
Pages:256 pages
Genre: Fiction/Literary 
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:
Reminiscent of Nick Hornby, Muriel Barbery, and Jonathan Tropper, internationally acclaimed novelist David Foenkinos delivers a heartfelt and deftly comedic tale of new love brightening the dark aftermath of loss--and of wounded hearts finding refuge in the strangest of places. After her husband’s unexpected death, Natalie has erected a fortress around her emotions; and Markus, clumsy and unassuming, will never be her knight in shining armor. Yet slowly but surely, an offbeat romance begins between these two mismatched, complex souls, and contrary to everything Natalie knows of affection, her perfect suitor may turn out to be love’s most unlikely candidate: the fool, not the hero, who is finally able to reach her heart.

My Review: 

I knew the minute that I saw Audrey Tatou on the cover that I would love this book. She is one of my favorite actresses and, usually, if she’s in it, I like it.

I loved Natalie and not only because she has the same name as my favorite actress aside from Audrey Tatou, Natalie Portman. I liked her immediately. She was likeable and relatable. Her tragic relationship with Francois was heartbreaking. It was a relatively small portion of the book but it stuck with me how perfect their relationship was and how quickly it was lost. I loved watching Natalie try to get her feet back on the ground after Francois’ death and eventually move on.

Delicacy is just my type of book. It wasn’t at all complex and the drama was fairly mundane but the subject dealt with was so true to life and treated with such a gentle hand. Natalie’s rebound from widowhood was something really spectacular to watch and her journey stuck with me long after I finished. There was a subtle humor in this book that I really liked. I also am a huge fan of short chapters that are like short flashes of memory and random bit of information. I love books that make you piece together the story on your own.

Delicacy is truly an experience. If you saw Amélie and liked it, you will love this. I need to see this movie ASAP.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. This one sounds like a quick but very entertaining read. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

  2. i loved this book so much ... It was a mixture between romance and drama with some funny parts ....

    Any similar books i can read ??



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio