Search Me!


Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: A Light on the Veranda by Ciji Ware

A Light on the VerandaPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark   
Pages:480 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction 
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Years after leaving the South, Daphne Duvallon returns to Natchez, Mississippi, for her brother's wedding. But she has a rendezvous with destiny, meeting Simon Hopkins, a nature photographer with a dark side of his own. Daphne finally knows what she wants--until the shadows from another life threaten to destroy her only real chance at happiness.

My Review: 

Ciji Ware is one of my favorites. She is my benchmark for historical fiction. I was looking forward to reading and reviewing this one from the moment I got it.

I loved Daphne simply because there was something so intrinsically normal and relatable about her. Yes, she was an uber-talented harpist but she also had a crazy family, a crazier ex, and an inferiority complex to deal with. Simon frustrated me a bit. He was so hot and cold with Daphne. There were just sometimes where I wanted to hit him with a souvenir mini-bat. If I was Daphne, I would have killed him when he bailed for a week to get “closure” with this ex-wife. It does not take a week to get closure. Simon should have given Daphne some warning about his intentions to seek closure. It would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. 

As always, Ciji Ware delivers on the amazing historical fiction with the perfect mix of romance and history. I always love how balanced both the historical and contemporary time frames are. I usually pick one that I like more but both are quite interesting. In this one, I definitely felt more of a connection to the contemporary characters. It’s not that the historical parts weren’t good or that I didn’t like them but I got really into the relationship between Simon and Daphne.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio