Search Me!


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: My Only by N.K. Smith

My OnlyPublisher: The Writer’s Coffee Shop
Genre: Young Adult 
Buy this Book: The Writer’s Coffee Shop

Summary from publisher:
Adam James’s life is far from perfect. A talented drummer from a small suburb of Chicago, he keeps to himself, downplaying his abilities, thinking that he is less than all those around him, including his popular twin brother, Aaron..
When a free-spirited new girl with a troubled past moves in across the street, Adam's eyes are opened to a new world of possibilities. Olivia Cartwright’s philosophies on life give her a deeper understanding of the world. An instant connection between Adam and Olivia draws them closer, but he wonders why anyone would choose him when a better version exists, particularly when Aaron also takes an interest in her.
Will the friendship with Olivia change Adam, or will he continue to close himself off in his own world?
Adam has a choice to make: risk his friendship with Olivia or fight for something more.
It seems Adam has a lot to learn about love....and life.

My Review: 
There are not many books that can say without fail that it will make you cry. This is one of those rare ones. Books like this should come with a warning. 
My Only tells the story of Adam, our introverted and kinda geeky protagonist, and his popular and outgoing twin brother, Aaron. I loved how despite their differences, they were close despite the underlying competition. It’s all made much more complicated when they both develop crushes on Olivia, the neighbor girl. I loved Olivia. She reminded me so much of myself in high school—free-spirited, energetic and a little off kilter. I really loved how well-paced the development of Adam and Olivia’s relationship was. It had its ups and downs like all relationships do but it was all really realistic.
I have to admit that Adam and Olivia have become one of my favorite couples. They were perfect. They balanced each other out in ways that surprised me. I fell in love with them first as individuals and then as a couple. I think that is why I like them so much. This book is not, however, a simple book about two people falling in love. Well it is. But the emotions go so much deeper and are quite intense. I love how Duane didn’t pull any punches with this one and didn’t try to make it all shiny and sparkly and pretty. Every emotion was there in its raw form and that is why I loved it so much.
This book does not come with a tissue warning so I am issuing one: Forgo the box and get a roll of toilet paper. Seriously.

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio