Search Me!


Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review: Stone Relics by Katy Walters

Stone RelicsPublisher: CreateSpace   
Pages:350 pages
Genre: Science Fiction  
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

It's 2065 and Ben Tobin Super Cop, hiding his true identity, fights for the right to live and love.
  The cult takes victims. From London, Paris, Dusseldorf, New York – police find bodies of young women draped over monuments – covered in snakes; a sacred stone relic left by the body.
In 2065, Ben, a Super Cop is an enigma, his true identity known to the few. He works undercover for MI8 who exact a terrible price – perfection. Any defects physical or mental could result in liquidation.
Unwittingly he is an agent for a sinister organization in the bowels of Whitehall.
To his horror, Ben begins to experience phobic attacks – nightmares haunting his nights, hunting him in the day. He dare not let anyone know. Any hint to MI8 means termination.
Desperate he turns to American psychologist Dr. Lucy Walters, a rebel. He has no choice, he must take the chance she will not report him.
As they join forces to solve the secret of the stone relic, Ben and Lucy are drawn into a love-hate relationship.
Their fight to save the lives of the abducted women takes them to the dawn of civilization - to the root of Ben’s phobias.

My Review: 

Pardon my lateness with this review. I have a monster of a cold/flu/plague and the cold medicine has inhibited my coherency. If I start talking about how much I love pudding, it’s the cold medicine and not to be taken seriously.

Stone Relics is not my normal style. I have been reading so many different genres lately. Usually, I just stick with romance and YA but I think I needed a change of scenery. This was definitely a HUGE change of scenery and for the most part, I enjoyed it.

Ben was definitely an interesting hero. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the whole cyborg thing at first because, well, most of the time it just reminds me of Robocop from my childhood. That’s not a very good association. But he was so different than what I expected. He was sweet and vulnerable. I especially liked that he was not afraid to ask for help with his phobias. Most men would be willing to sit in their car on the highway for hours looking at the all-knowing map before asking for directions. Lucy was also freakin’ awesome. She was a rebel. She helps Ben—even though she doesn’t want to. I find that to be the zenith of awesome. I loved the love/hate relationship that he had with Lucy. I love a good love/hate relationship.

When I began reading, the whole idea of futuristic worlds and half man/half cyborg was beyond my comprehension. It still is really. I am not that big a fan of sci-fi. I don’t think I ever will be. But I really did like this one. Maybe not as much as I would if it had taken place in an Old West setting with a completely human sheriff but still enough that I would not hesitate to buy another book by Katy Walters. I especially loved the psychological aspect of the story. I was not really expecting it but found that it worked really well.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. This does sound like a book I would enjoy. :)



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio