Search Me!


Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review: Texas Pride by Leigh Greenwood

Texas Pride: Night RidersPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca   
Pages:384 pages
Genre: Romance/Western/Historical 
Series: The Night Riders-1,2,3,4,5
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:
Carla Reece had never met anyone more infuriating in her life. The blond giant who swaggered up to her door had no right to take over half her ranch - no matter how stupid her brother had been gambling it away in a high-stakes poker game. Her new foreman claimed to be some foreign royalty who promised to leave in a year. Still, a year was way too long to spend with a man who made her madder than a wet hen and weak in the knees all at the same time.
Ivan may have charmed everyone in town into thinking he was the perfect gentleman, but Carla knew better. There had to be a chink in his armor-a red-hot passion under that calm, cool gaze. But once she finds it, she may be in for more than she ever bargained for...

My Review: 
Leigh Greenwood has long been one of my favorite western romance writers. I have read all of his Cowboy series multiple times (even though I have lost my copy of Jake long ago and still miss it). I do a reread once in a while and recently reread Texas Homecoming. I had no idea this was a sequel so it was quite the fortuitous accident---and Ivan was my favorite character in that one.

I do have to admit to having a bit of trouble with our heroine, Carla. She is the epitome of “Too Stupid To Live.” She was one of those heroines that  is so determined to show her strength and independence but continuously goes about it in the wrongest of ways. I liked her but I had many moments when I wondered about her sense. Ivan was my favorite character from Texas Homecoming and I was delighted to see him as the hero in this one. He was so sweet and kind. In fact, he may have been a little too perfect. I like my heroes to have a bit of an edge to them and Ivan came across as a bit milquetoast at times.

Leigh Greenwood always writes an amazing western. Always. His books are amazing reads with or without the romance aspect. Of course, I prefer with but that’s just me. He captures the environment and the time period perfectly. I do wish that the romance had been a little bit more of a focus in this one rather than the cattle rustling and such. I thought this was an excellent continuation of an older series.  I wish other authors would revisit their older series ever so often because I am always so frustrated when authors leave plotlines hanging in their series.

Texas Pride is perhaps not the best for a new Leigh Greenwood reader (start with Jake and the Cowboys) but a very good read nonetheless. Highly recommended to fans of western romance.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio