Search Me!


Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Review: The Three Colonels by Jack Caldwell

The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting MenPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark   
Pages:384 pages
Genre: Jane Austen Adaptation 
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

Love reigns supreme for our three brave colonels at the start of this epic tale. Colonels Fitzwilliam, Buford, and Brandon are enjoying their courtships and their early married lives with three beloved Jane Austen heroines. The couples lead tranquil lives - until Napoleon escapes from exile. While the military men set out to meet their destiny on the fields of Waterloo, Anne, Caroline, and Marianne defend their hearts against the fear of losing their loved ones.

My Review: 

I loved Pemberley Ranch. It was one of my favorite Jane Austen Adaptations from last year. I was looking forward to reading this one from the minute it arrived in my mailbox. I was expecting awesome battle scenes and I was super excited that the focus on this one wasn’t on Darcy.

This one focused on three couples—none of which were Lizzy and Darcy. The first being Marianne and Colonel Brandon. I loved that Caldwell used Christopher as Brandon’s first name. It’s not actually canon but it reminds me of the 1995 Sense and Sensibility movie and Alan Rickman. Both are good things. There are not many books about Marianne and Colonel Brandon but I love it when I find one because they are such an amazing couple.

Anne de Bourgh and Colonel Fitzwilliam are our second pairing. They were so cute. I usually pair Colonel Fitzwilliam with Georgiana but I may have to change my mind because he worked so well with Anne. I loved watching Anne come into her own and tell her mother off. I think that is what every fan of Pride and Prejudice wants to see. It’s what Anne deserves because she has the potential to be such an awesome character.

My favorite couple, however, was Caroline Bingley and Sir John, an original character. I have to admit that Caroline is sometimes my favorite Pride and Prejudice character. I waver between hating her and feeling that she was simply the victim of her circumstances. She is a big bitch but she kind of has to be. I loved her and John. I wasn’t exactly a love match to start with but that’s my favorite kind. But---he cheated on her. Yes, he was drunk and yes he felt guilty but he never told her. He instead decided to confess to a priest. I wanted to see him express his sorrow to the wife he betrayed not a clergyman. Whenever I encounter infidelity in romance novels, the heroine finds out and they have a chance to get past it as a couple. Every wife that has been cheated on has the God-given right to make her cheating husband want to bury himself in the nearest ditch. Caroline never got that chance. It was a bit of a letdown but other than that, they were my favorite.

My favorite part of this book had to be the battle scenes. I am a history geek of the epic variety. I love battle scenes whenever I can get them and an author that can write a good one is forever on my Good People list. Jack Caldwell writes one heck of an amazing battle scene. They were extremely detailed and vivid in imagery. I also loved how Caldwell managed to combine all of the Jane Austen novels. There was literally something from every single one of them. There were cameos and mentions all over the place—it was like a Jane Austen Muppets movie. I’ve seen some other authors attempt to bring characters from other Jane Austen novels into their novel but none have succeeded so well and on such a grand scale. 


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. I really need to get my hands on this one! It sounds wonderful! Plus, I've been looking forward to this since last year!

  2. New follower courtesy of Blogoholics. Come by my blog when you get a chance.

    1. I will. I hope you get a chance to review THE THREE COLONELS. And because you like book previews, check out mine at my web site -



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio