Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Lessons After Dark by Isabel Cooper

Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN:  1402264402
Pages:346 pages
Genre:  Romance/Historical/Paranormal
Series: Englefield series-1
Challenges-TK
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb




Summary from publisher:

For years, Gareth St. John put his supernatural talent for healing in service to the British Army. Now he's the doctor at a very unusual new school that helps people with special "talents" learn how to hone their abilities.

Olivia Brightmore became a fake medium to support herself after her husband died, but she never expected to discover real magic as the school's newest teacher. Olivia tries to keep the handsome doctor at arm's length, but she can't resist the urge to get under his skin.

My Review: 

I have been a little lax with the blog lately. I had a family emergency and I just needed a break. But I am back now and have many many reviews to catch up on.

This one took me longer to finish than I was expecting. It’s not that I didn’t like it but it took me a while to get into the book. I have no idea why. It’s a historical romance with paranormal elements---right up my alley. But I really did like it once I got into it.

I love it when I find a mature and intelligent heroine. It’s very rare but when it happens, it’s an occasion to be celebrated. Olivia was one of those strong, smart and brave heroines who never has any of those dumb moments that relegate lesser heroine to the TSTL classification. Gareth, unfortunately, was a bit of a tough go for me. He had a tendency to be so judgy about Olivia’s past. I am sure he was not a choir boy so how could he be so judgmental. Especially because she did what she had to do to survive. And really it wasn’t so bad to begin with.

As I said, the start was a bit slow going for me. It took me a couple of chapters to even begin to approach getting into the story. I think if this had been any other week, I would have been right into the book because it really was great but I had other things on my mind. I loved the paranormal element. It was interesting and fun and I am always up for a book about a magic school. I loved how each of the children in the school had their own personality and backstory instead of just being the cookie cutter “adorable child.” It added depth.

Overall, despite my difficult start with this one, I really ended up loving it. I will be continuing with this series.


Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio