Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Review: The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain

Publisher: Mira  
ISBN:0778313468 
Pages:368 pages
Genre: Fiction/Drama 
Series: Series Name-1,2
Challenges-TK
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb




Summary from publisher:

A beloved daughter. A devastating choice. And now there's no going back.
Four years ago, nineteen-year-old Travis Brown made a choice: to raise his newborn daughter on his own. While most of his friends were out partying and meeting girls, Travis was at home, changing diapers and worrying about keeping food on the table. But he's never regretted his decision. Bella is the light of his life. The reason behind every move he makes. And so far, she is fed. Cared for. Safe.
But when Travis loses his construction job and his home, the security he's worked so hard to create for Bella begins to crumble...….
Then a miracle. A job in Raleigh has the power to turn their fortunes around. It has to. But when Travis arrives in Raleigh, there is no job, only an offer to participate in a onetime criminal act that promises quick money and no repercussions.
With nowhere else to turn, Travis must make another choice for his daughter's sake.Even if it means he might lose her.

My Review: 

I have had a heck of a time getting this review published. Every time I pressed publish, my computer ate half of it and only published the title and info not the review. Not exactly good enough, right?

I am not a big fan of books with babies. I am not a baby person. As a matter of fact, I am quite probably one of the least likely people to ever coo over an infant ever. But I can’t resist a Diane Chamberlain book. I am powerless when tempted by one.

Travis was awesome. Usually teen pregnancy storylines end with the dad looking like a prime dirtbag or an overwrought teenager who bails on his responsibility. It was lovely to see Travis do his best to take care of Bella and provide for her. It was really refreshing to see such maturity out of someone so young. It’s very rare that I find a character that I admire but I definitely admired Travis.

I can always depend on a Diane Chamberlain book to be a tearjerker. Not in the Nicholas Sparks “I will make you cry because of the sheer ridiculousness” but in a quieter more and more organic way. That’s not to say that this book wasn’t dramatic but it wasn’t drama for the shock value or gratuitous tears. There was literally not a thing that I did not love about this book. The characters were delightful, the story kept me interested and I did cry.

Rating:

*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.

Excerpt:

She was sitting in the brown leather chair where she always sat, reading something on her iPad, as usual, and brushing a strand of light brown hair out of her eyes. I felt a crazy rush of relief and a crazy rush of disappointment. If she hadn't been there, I would have no way to do what I was going to do tonight, and that would have been a good thing.

Follow along with the rest of the tour and don’t forget to participate in the Live Chat on 5/31 @ BookTrib.com

image001

2 comments:

  1. Finally, someone who agrees with me about Nicholas Sparks!

    I won this book from BookTrib and I've been wanting to read it for a while. It sounds so good. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of her books but -- this one -- I really want to read it. It sounds soo good. Any 19 year old young father who is taking care of his child on his own, now that is a character I can respect! (Even if he doesn't always make the best choices!)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio