Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, June 4, 2012

Armchair BEA 2012-Introductions

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?

My name is Grace obviously. I’m 26 (27 in a week). I a cacophony of many random things—librarian, baker, reader, hockey fan, sister, stalker of postal service workers who deliver my mail very late. I have been blogging since 2008. A very long time. I got into blogging to keep a record of what I was reading. Fairly simple. The community and all that good stuff was a bonus.

What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012?

Right now, I am in between books but my favorite books have to be all of the Lisa Kleypas books I have read so far. I am working my way through her backlist and they just keep getting better and better.

Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.

I am not licensed to drive. Yep. I am one of the sad people who cannot legally operate a vehicle. I failed my test twice. Twice administered by the same person and twice failed.

What is your favorite feature on your blog (i.e. author interviews, memes, something specific to your blog)?

My favorite feature of my blog is my reviews. I just love writing them. I have been slowing down lately but I am getting back at it now.

Where do you see your blog in five years?

I have no idea. I am not one for thinking so far into the future. One day at a time.

Which is your favorite post that you have written that you want everyone to read?

Any of the reviews from April or May would be lovely. I loved those books and worked really hard on the reviews.

If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?

Anne Shirley. No question. There is no predicting what that crazy girl would so.

What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?

Prince Edward Island. I’ve heard it’s beautiful and it’s on my list of literary places to travel.

What is your favorite part about the book blogging community? Is there anything that you would like to see change in the coming years?

I love how the community supports each other. How smart we all are. How much we love books and sharing the love of reading. It’s not something I have ever experienced. My mother used to be the only person I shared books and bookish opinions with. High school was a dry wasteland of people who hated reading. College was better but the blogging community was a revelation.

I would love to see the cliquey aspect change in the future. I don’t like the “popular crowd” feel that happens in this community sometimes. I graduated high school in 2003. I don’t want to revisit. I would also like to see the rules apply to everyone not just the little people but the big name bloggers as well. No one in this community is better than anyone else. Maybe that’s a bit idealized and it’s not a perfect world but it makes sense, doesn’t it?

Have your reading tastes changed since you started blogging? How?

When I started this blog, I was reading all literary fiction, Jane Austen sequels and historical fiction. I was bored. My mother leant me a romance novel and I was hooked. It completely changed my reading habits. So I now primarily focus on reading romance novels with a smattering of YA.

38 comments:

  1. Anne Shirley will always be a favorite character of mine! I will always remember her breaking that slate over Gilbert's head...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just dyed my hair red. I have been running around screaming "Don't call me carrots!" all day.

      Delete
  2. Hi Grace!
    Lovely to get to know you. I'm a old follower, though.
    If you've got time, check out my introduction.
    Oh, and happy birthday for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi nice to meet you!
    that sucks that you dont have your drivers license lol, i hope you live somewhere that has some kind of transportation? i live in toronto and we have a huge transit system so i actually didnt get my license until i was 20... and not 6 years later i cant imagine NOT having it!
    http://paperbookprincess.blogspot.ca/2012/06/armchair-bea-day-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in NYC so I live in an area with a huge transportation system. It's probably better that I don't have it because the idea of driving in New York gives me a migraine.

      Delete
  4. Hi! Nice to meet you :)
    I'm also a non-driver, but that means I get to travel on trains a lot more, which I love! It's a bit expensive these days having a car, so I don't think you're missing out too much.
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I am missing out on too much either. It's probably safer for other that I am not driving as well.

      Delete
  5. Howdy Grace :)

    I wish I had the option to be a non-driver, I would do it in a minute! Anne Shirley is a great choice for the dinner :)

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Shirley has been my fantasy dinner guest for forever. Especially after the plum pudding incident.

      Delete
  6. I visited Prince Edward Island about 15 years ago and tour Lucy M. Montgomery's home. The grounds look just like those described in the Anne Shirley books. You must see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous. I need to go to PEI. I may even go this summer.

      Delete
  7. Just found your blog through Armchair BEA. Are you really going to read 500 books this year?! Wow, that's impressive! What's your secret? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try. I am at 118 right now so unless I hit a hot streak, I am probably going to fall short. I don't really have a secret. I just read what I like and I read pretty fast :)

      Delete
  8. Prince Edward Island is gorgeous! I could live there ... beauty is so inspiring! Especially the beauty of my country. :)

    When I started blogging, I always thought that I had to read certain books that fit my age. Because of blogging, I realized that I can read anything ... that's the beauty of books! I'm like you, I read a good mixture of YA and romance.

    That's nuts about the driving tests! Though, there are people like that ... in fact, I'm housesitting at a place right now and the owner doesn't drive. She had a friend who was in a major accident and she decided then and there (years and years ago!) to stop driving.

    Anyway, happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada is one of my favorite places in the world. It brought me hockey, how could I not love it?

      Blogging does expand your reading horizons. It completely changed how and what I read.

      Delete
  9. Anne Shirley and Prince Edward Island, wouldn't that be fun?! I've not read the Lucy Montgomery books, but I surely enjoyed the series on PBS (several decades past!). I've not read the author you mentioned, Lisa Kleypas, either so I appreciate the new-to-me information. Happy BEA Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend both Lisa Kleypas and the Anne series.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. I didn't have my DL until I was well into my mid twenties. I never failed the test, cause I never took it, but for some reason I just never took the time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to go to PEI too, Anne Shirley is a great character!! Welcome to BEA

    http://lovesbooksreviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/armchair-bea-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, happy early birthday!! I have to say that I totally agree about what you said about the book blogging community. On one hand, I absolutely love it, because it allows me to share my love of reading to others. But there's always some sort of drama going on, and the whole clique thing can be discouraging at times. But, I still love it. =)

    I loved learning about you! Have fun during Armchair BEA. =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy early birthday!!

    Mickey @ imabookshark

    PS - Come check out my introduction? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There!

    I have been to PEI and was somewhat underwhelmed by it, but that be because it is so similar to the parts of the UK that I have visited! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so great to meet you!!
    Hope you have a great Armchair BEA week!
    Here's my post: http://little-red-reads.blogspot.com/2012/06/armchair-bea-introductions.html

    xo Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read Anne of Green Gables last year and absolutely loved Anne Shirley. I am planning to read the other books n the series. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh, I didn't even think of Anne Shirley! That would be a fascinating dinner! Tanks for stopping by my blog, I'll be adding yours to my list of blogs to watch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I put down PEI too as a place to visit and I think having dinner with Anne Shirley would be quite interesting! Anne of Green Gables has always been my favorite series of all time and I always recommend it to young girls who like to read!

    Here's my Armchair BEA Intro Post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Grace! Prince Edward Island seems so peaceful & pretty. I'd love to visit there too! Hope you have a fun BEA week!
    -Heather @ BookStacksOnDeck

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I know how if feels to fail the driving test I failed my test the first time I took it. Also, reviews are always awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Grace! I skipped the 5 year question. I dream about what I would like for my blog to be, but as it's mostly a hobby I don't want to set too many goals and then be disappointed when I don't meet it.

    I want to go to Prince Edward Island. I'm a huge Anne of Green Gables fan.

    All of social media seems to have a bit of a high school feel from time to time to me.

    Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO afraid to ask but does that mean you DON'T drive??? Haha Sucks that you got the same person twice - should get a DIFFERENT person for the 2nd attempt - I mean come on peeps. ;)

    Thanks for participating!

    Here's my intro

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Carrots!!! Just kidding. ;-)

    This is the second blog I've visited that mentioned Anne, and that makes me SO HAPPY.

    Happy upcoming birthday, hope it's amazing! Treat yourself to something special!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your one day at a time philosophy. :)

    I'm not much a driver either. But I started taking driving lessons this year, and now I'm this close to have my driver's licence.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! Great to meet you! Love your blog! And Happy Early Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for visiting Book Strings today. I highly suggest watching some Youtube videos. I've found that I'm kind of a "monkey see, monkey do" learner when it comes to things like knitting. I'm always telling the guys in the brown truck to bring me more books. They give me funny looks. I hope they know that that is what's in all those packages they deliver to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I first got into HR books by finally being allowed to read my Mom's books when she deemed me old enough to handle the content - my first author read in this genre was Bertrice Small. But I do love Lisa Kleypas as well. :)

    Nice to see you at ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Replies
    1. I have been a Devils fan since birth but the Leafs are one of the teams that I don't dislike intensely.

      Delete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio