Search Me!


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Review: Just Say Yes by Phillipa Ashley

Just Say YesPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark 
ISBN: 1402241437
Pages:368 pages
Genre:  Romance/Contemporary/Humor 
Buy this Book: Amazonclip_image001_thumb_thumb, Powell's, Indiebound clip_image0013_thumb_thumbclip_image0014_thumb_thumb

Summary from publisher:

There's one question a girl should always say yes to...

But Lucy Gibson said no. On national TV. Now she's hated by nearly everyone.

Fleeing the spotlight's glare, Lucy holes up in a cottage in the country, where she just might find the right reasons to say yes after all...

From beloved novelist Philipa Ashley, Just Say Yes is a sharp and exuberant tale of the rocky road to love that'll leave you saying "Yes!"

My Review: 

I love Phillipa Ashley’s books. She is such a great storyteller and she ties with Jill Mansell as my favorite chick lit author. Just Say Yes, while not my favorite of her books, comes pretty damn close.

Lucy was a character that I almost immediately identified with. She was dealt a very bad hand. Through no fault of her own, she was made out to be a “bad guy” in the tabloids and was hounded for it. Not nice. But she dealt with it well with strength and just a little bit of hysteria. It took me a bit to warm up to Josh though. I can place the sole blame for that on his terrible, terrible girlfriend, Sara. Seriously, the woman was evil. I’m kind of surprised she didn’t wear a puppy fur coat throughout the book. The company you keep reflects on you and it reflected badly on Josh. Once she was out of the picture, Josh grew in my estimation.

I loved this book. I finished it in one night. and this book kept me completely entertained the whole time. Lucy and Josh were also really great together. Their progression as a couple was very slow and not your typical romance style fireworks. It was very true to life. The humor was spot on. It wasn’t outlandish or slapstick. It was smart and witty. I was also happy that it was free of Bridget Jones-style pratfalls. They don’t make me laugh. They make me cringe. Seriously, I can’t watch Bridget Jones without wanting to die slowly. I always appreciate it when I don’t have to see the heroine in the books I read embarrass herself constantly in a (supposedly) adorable way.


*A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for review.   My opinion is my own and has not been influenced in any way and any monies   made from associate or affiliate accounts are recycled back into the  blog.


  1. Grace - wow, thank you for the review which made my day.:)



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio