Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine by Jayne Fresina


 The Most Improper Miss Sophie Valentine
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN:1402265972
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency  
Challenges- TK
Buy this Book: AmazonIndieboundPowell's
Summary 
A SCANDALOUS LADY
Sophie Valentine knew placing an ad for a husband in the Farmers Gazette would bring her trouble-and she was right. When the darkly handsome, arrogantly charming Lazarus Kane shows up on her doorstep, the nosy residents of Sydney Dovedale are thrown into a gossiping tizzy. After all, it's common knowledge that Sophie is a young lady In Need of Firmer Direction. But even Sophie isn't so scandalous as to marry a complete stranger. .. is she?

SEEKS HANDSOME STRANGER
Lazarus Kane has been searching for Sophie half of his life. She may not remember him, but he could never forget her. But the past is a dangerous thing, and it's best if his remains secret if he wants to tempt Sophie with ...

A MOST IMPROPER PROPOSAL


My Review:


I have a tendency to put off books that I know I am going to like. Usually, I am right and I love the book even though it took me forever to read it. But there are other rarer times where the book just doesn't live up to my lofty expectations. I did that with this book and this one kind of middled with me.

I don't know why but lately most of the heroines I have been coming across have annoyed me to no end. Sophie was so frustrating. She had all the wit and strength of a great heroine but, for the most part, she was led around by her idiotic family. She had no spark and I have come to expect at least a little with my heroines. Sophie just went along with her family and never really stood up for herself. I did love Lazarus. He was the perfect combination of sweet and rough around the edges. Sophie did treat him quite badly through most of the book which I found to be borderline exasperating. I kind of wanted him to tell her to take a hike but, of course this being a romance novel, he never did.

I did like this book. Quite a bit. Jayne Fresina's writing style was really engaging and love how the humor, romance and drama worked within the plot. I really liked Lazarus and I thought that the story was interesting. I do think I would have loved it if Sophie had been a bit more likable. There are just times when I have a complete disconnect with the heroine and this was one of them. That being said, the chemistry between Lazarus and Sophie was perfect. Really whenever they were together, I found myself liking the book ten times more. Aunt Finn was also a treasure of a character. I would read a book just about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio