Search Me!


Monday, July 23, 2012

Review: Christmas Eve At Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1)Publisher: St. Martin's Press
ISBN: 0312605862
Pages: 211 pages
Series: Friday Harbor-2,3,4 
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
One rain-slicked night, six-year-old Holly lost the only parent she knew, her beloved mother Victoria. And since that night, she has never again spoken a word.

The last thing Mark Nolan needs is a six-year-old girl in his life. But he soon realizes that he will do everything he can to make her life whole again. His sister’s will gives him the instructions: There’s no other choice but you. Just start by loving her. The rest will follow.

Maggie Conroy doesn’t dare believe in love again, after losing her husband of one year. But she does believe in the magic of imagination. As the owner of a toy shop, she lives what she loves. And when she meets Holly Nolan, she sees a little girl in desperate need of a little magic.

Three lonely people. Three lives at the crossroads. Three people who are about to discover that Christmas is the time of year when anything is possible, and when wishes have a way of finding the path home…

My Review:

I began my epic odyssey through Lisa Kleypas’ books in April. It is July as I am typing this review out…and I am still working my way through Lisa’s books so be prepared for a Kleypas onslaught.

I read this series backwards. I started with Rainshadow Road and then read this one. I don’t like working that way, people. It makes me twitchy. I am, however, one of the few people on the planet who think spoilers are fantastic.

I loved Maggie. She had this very easygoing way about her. I loved how she made an instant connection with Holly and was able to bring her out of her silence using her imagination and magic. She isn’t without depth. She nursed her husband through cancer and is still dealing with the emotional scars. Alex is still my favorite of the brothers but Mark was a very close second. He was a hard nut to crack. He was almost cold at the start of the book but as he got closer to Holly, and eventually Maggie, he just became so sweet.

I never say this because I am not the most Christmasy person on the planet but I really liked the “Christmas joy” feel in this one. It felt like it belonged in the book not like it was added on as an afterthought. It also never crossed the street to cheesy but remained completely heartwarming. Also, kids in novels usually walk the line between adorable and “why are you stealing all of the story”-style obnoxious. That never happened with Holly. She was part of the story but never overwhelmed the plot at all. I do wish this book had been a bit longer. I really like longer books. I never feel as if I get a full grasp of the story, the characters or the chemistry in novella-like books. Either way, I am looking forward to Dream Lake (Alex’s story) because he was my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio