Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, July 16, 2012

Review: The Officer Says "I Do" by Jeanette Murray

The Officer Says "I Do"Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402265409
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Military
Series: Semper Fi
Challenges-
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
Summary 
He's a Marine...she grew up on a commune.

He always puts duty first...she's a free spirit with an unshakable belief in Fate.

He loves routine and order...she brings chaos and creativity wherever she goes.

They're going to balance each other perfectly—or drive each other completely, utterly insane...

On a wild pre-deployment celebration in Las Vegas, Captain Timothy O'Shay encounters free-spirited beauty Skye McDermott, and for once lets down his guard. Now his life is about to take off in directions he never could have imagined...
My Review:

I must admit that I’ve never really read a military romance before. I mostly stick with my historicals. I’m a creature of habit and, while it’s not a problem yet, I need to branch out. This book was the perfect opportunity but it is a subgenre that I’ve never really read or liked. It’s about time that I tried something new.

For some reason, Skye, our heroine, got on my every nerve. Well maybe it’s not so mysterious. I have three reasons—I’ve thought about this very seriously. (1) She expected Tim to live up to a marriage that occurred when he was intoxicated. I wouldn’t have minded it much if she didn’t strong arm him into staying married. He literally had no choice because she was determined to give the marriage a try based only on her belief in fate. (2)She is a vegetarian. Normally, I have no problem with people with special diets as long as you don’t try and force your dietary restrictions on me. The problem with Skye is that she does force her dietary restrictions on everyone she meets. She expects everyone to cater to her diet. For example, she makes facon for Tim, a man who clearly enjoys his meat product. Not only selfish but kind of cruel because I have eaten that stuff and it is just barely edible. She seems to look down on people who eat meat and that just grinds my gears. (3) She bamfs out the minute she senses trouble. She hightails it down to Texas. I kind of felt bad for Tim. He was extremely likable, completely normal and relatable. As much as I didn’t like his wife, I really liked him. It always depresses me when I find a really great hero but the heroine just lets me down.

I think I would’ve liked this book much more if the heroine was a little less “pushy.” She seemed less of a free spirit and more of a control freak. However, in spite of my trouble with the heroine, I do think that Tim and Skye have a nice chemistry. Maybe not the best ever and but just good enough to keep me interested. I did think that the ending was a bit rushed but overall the flow of the story was great. I really did love the military aspect. I have not read many military romances but if this is any indication of how good they are, I will be reading more. I will definitely be reading more of Jeanette Murray’s books. I really loved her writing style. It was very engaging and moved the plot along nicely. I can’t wait for the next book. I hope it’s about Madison and Jeremy. As far as secondary storylines go, they were excellent, and I hope they get their own book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio