Search Me!


Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Enchanting the Lady by Kathryne Kennedy

Enchanting the LadyPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 140226982X
Pages: 320 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Fantasy/
Series: Relics of Merlin-2,3
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
His Magic Condems Him...

In a Victorian England with a rigid hierarchy of magic, lion shapeshifter Sir Terence Blackwell is at the bottom of the rung of society. Only Lady Felicity Seymour, who has no magic, no inheritance, and no prospects, may be willing to judge the man strictly on his own merits...

Until She Reveals His True Power...

When family pressures push Lady Felicity into a terrible fate, she has only Sir Terence to turn to. Together, the two outcasts become embroiled in the dark depths beneath society's facade. And what they discover about each other is the only thing that's real...

My Review:
To be honest, I did not really know what I was going to get out of this one when I started. I loved Kennedy’s other series, The Elven Lords, but I was unsure of this one. And yet again, here I am admitting my utter wrongness.

I loved Felicity. She was one of those rare heroines that had nary an annoying moment. Seriously. She was likable to the extreme. I also identified with her quite a bit. Who hasn’t felt a little insignificant and invisible once in a while? The same thing goes for Terence. The only thing that I did not like about him was his name and his semi-putzy tendencies. And, yes, he does have putzy tendencies. Big ones. But generally, I did like him. Even though he did a sort of very mean thing to Felicity who I feel very protective of.

I am not usually one of a magic plot. Unless it’s Harry Potter, I don’t want to read it and even then after Snape died, I wasn’t interested. But I loved the way it worked here—magical ability determines class rank. And there are shapeshifters, social outcasts and very low ranking, which makes it even better. I’m explaining it terribly but it was really well thought out and very interesting. Terence and Felicity were great together as well even though Terence started out with not so great intentions. I had to grow to like him but I eventually did. I always like the ones that start out the worst.

I should have trusted Kathryne Kennedy to give me a good read. I won’t doubt her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio