Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious by Mary Wine

A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious (Steam Guardians, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402264801
Pages: 320 pages
Genre: Romance/Fantasy/Steampunk
Series: Steam Guardians
Challenges-
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
Summary 
Beneath the Surface of Victorian Life Lies a Very Different World...

Hated and feared by the upper classes, the Illuminists guard their secrets with their lives. Janette Aston's insatiable quest for answers brings her to their locked golden doors, where she encounters the most formidable man she's ever met.

Darius Lawley's job is to eliminate would–be infiltrators, but even he may be no match for Janette's cunning and charm...

My Review:

This is my first official steampunk of any sort. I am kind of ashamed to say that. I did not think the genre would have any appeal to me. Apparently, I was wrong...like usual.

There was literally nothing to dislike about Janette. She was a smart, ambitious and spunky heroine and she lost none of it when she met her hero. She had a goal and she stuck to it. I also like that she accomplished her goals without Darius holding her hand. Darius was a bit of a conundrum. He ran a bit hold and cold. He confused me as much as he confused Janette. But I did like I'm as much as I was confounded by him. He did have this authority about him that I found really interesting.

Mary Wine is one of my "go to" Highlander romance authors. I may not always love her Highlander romances but I usually like them well enough to read every book she releases. But this one, a steampunk romance, goes beyond any of the others. I loved this book. I loved both the hero and the heroine, the mystery, and the whole secret society thing. It was perfect. I can't wait to read the rest of this series.

4 comments:

  1. Great review. So glad you liked this, I was pretty impressed with it to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Steampunk - I'm afraid there will be too many gadgets and weird flying machines! Is that silly? Maybe I should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I was hesitant, too. I am still a bit worried about flying machines and gadgets but I am going to try more. Definitely give it a go.

      Delete
  3. Will have to add this to my reading list. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio