Search Me!


Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Marrying Up by Wendy Holden

Marrying UpPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402270674
Pages: 400 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Humor
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
Beautiful but broke student Polly and scheming social climber Alexa may have grown up in the same place, but they couldn't be more different. Polly's just fallen for Max, a handsome country vet. But Alexa can't be bothered with love—any guy with a pedigree will do, mind you, as long as he comes with a title, a mansion, and a family tiara.

Alexa wiggles her way into friendship with Florrie, a clueless aristocrat who could support entire countries with her spare change. Suddenly the grandest doors swing open for Alexa, and a new life is so close she can taste it. Polly could care less about Max's money, but his mysterious habit of disappearing scares her. What's he hiding?

Razor sharp in its wit, and as fresh as newlywed royals, Marrying Up reveals how sometimes a rags–to–riches story can rip a girl to shreds—and how sometimes the rewards of love aren't always what you expect.

My Review:

I wasn't so sure about this one. At all. I was caught between looking forward to it and fearing reading it because I knew that I was going to either love it or hate it. I find myself a bit flummoxed because my reaction to this book is caught firmly between love and hate.

I loved Polly. I really did. She was just so darn likable. She's sweet, completely down to earth, a bit dippy but altogether lovable. She was completely free of the social climbing pretentions that plagued her foil, Alexa--social climber from Hell. Max--I have a particular weakness for heroes named Max. I just do and, really, I don't know why. He was made even more attractive by his love for animals and his complete devotion to his dog, Beano. He's an all around good dude with some, shall we say, baggage.

This book was made bearable only by the presence of Polly and Max--the only sane characters in a mess of insanity. I just have to wonder, why was there so much Alexa? I know it's fun to write about the crazy characters and Alexa's extreme craziness exhibited the differences between her and Polly  but Alexa took over the book. I wanted more Polly and Max development and I just had to slog through Alexa's antics most of the time. It became exhausting after a while and it did take away some enjoyment from the book. I think I was supposed to find her funny but I just found her vexing. I wanted more of the relationship between Polly and Max. Call me crazy but I want to like the characters in the books I read and it's impossible to like Alexa.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio