Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Review: Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas

Sugar Daddy (Travises #1)Publisher: St. Martin's Press
ISBN: 9780312351625
Pages: 432 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Series: Travises-2,3
Challenges-TK
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
Summary 
Liberty Jones has dreams and determination that will take her far away from Welcome, Texas—if she can keep her wild heart from ruling her mind. Hardy Cates sees Liberty as completely off-limits. His own ambitions are bigger than Welcome, and Liberty is a complication he doesn’t need. But something magical and potent draws them to each other, in a dangerous attraction that is stronger than both of them.

When Hardy leaves town to pursue his plans, Liberty finds herself alone with a young sister to raise. Soon Liberty is under the spell of a billionaire tycoon—a Sugar Daddy, one might say. But the relationship goes deeper than people think, and Liberty begins to discover secrets about her own family’s past.


My Review:

Here begins my odyssey into the works of Lisa Kleypas. I read Sugar Daddy in March. That should give you an idea of how freaking long it takes me to get a review out for a non-review book. I decided to get the contemporaries out of the way because, above all, I wanted to get to the historicals. I really loved this one. It came as quite a surprise but I did.

I don’t think I have ever fallen quite so in love with a contemporary romance heroine as I have with Liberty. I think it’s because we see her grow up in detail. We know where she comes from and why she is the way she is. We don’t see her remembering her childhood but we live it with her. And some of it was so heartbreaking and painful that even the most hardened of readers would sympathize with her. She kind of reminds me of Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird or Bone from Bastard Out of Carolina. I spent most of this book waiting for Hardy to swoop in and sweep Liberty off of her feet but then we meet Gage and his model girlfriend and I understood where this was going. Gage was perfect. He had the ice prince thing going but he was also stalwart and dependable.

I was thoroughly surprised by this book. It was not your simple romance. Most of the book was dedicated to telling Liberty’s story and the romance mainly occurred toward the end of the book. It reminded me more of a coming of age novel. That’s not a bad thing but it’s not what I expect when I pick up a Lisa Kleypas novel. This book, for me, was carried by the pure awesomeness of our heroine. I mean, this was her book. Literally. This was her life story. If I had hated Liberty, I probably would have hated the book but thankfully I didn't hate her and I did love the book but it could have happened. I did want more of the romance and more of Gage. I felt like it was added on at the end just to satisfy Kleypas’ regular readers. But, otherwise, this book was excellent and, as far as contemporaries go, this was one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio