Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402270275
Pages: 448 pages
Genre: Romance/Steampunk/Paranormal
Series:  London Steampunk
Challenges- TK
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
Summary 
When Nowhere is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single–handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood–craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so...innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel—or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking.

My Review:


How have I avoided steampunk for so long? If it's as good as the two I've read, I've been missing out in a criminally deprived kind of way. It's awesome. It is. And this series, I can tell you right now, will be one of my favorites.

I loved Honoria from the start. She was a strong and capable heroine with just a few moments of weakness. I liked that she was stubborn and independent but not in that annoying, Mary Sue-ish way. She is pretty much a character study of the perfectly written romance heroine. Blade is definitely going on my favorite hero list. He reminded me of Derek Craven from Lisa Kleypas' Dreaming of You. That is pretty much the highest compliment I can give a hero. Derek comes second only to Darcy. I loved his choppy way of speaking. It reflected his character so well and it's nice not to see such a prim and proper hero. He was also very kind, gentle, protective and generous in spite of his rough exterior. He was a noble hero in the most unexpected of packages.

I loved this book. In case you couldn't tell by my abject worship in the other parts of this review. I kept going back because I didn't want this book to end. I loved the way McMaster approache vampires. They are not suave or sexy or anything of the sort but they are grotesque and disgusting. Her descriptions are enough to turn anyone's stomach. The world building in this book was just plain amazing. I could easily revisit this world for 20 more books and be completely happy about it. Honoria and Blade were also one of the most adorable couples I have ever come across. This is a book I will be rereading. Many times. I can't tell you how much I loved this book enough. I will be waiting for the next book (please be about Will) like a rabid fangirl.

3 comments:

  1. this has been on my wishlist for a while . gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, the jury is still sort of "out" on steampunk as a particular genre. I feel like, the ones I like are almost in spite of the genre. :-)

    That said, if you are liking it, I highly recommend Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series, and Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate is loads of fun (and totally different). What was the other one you read? I liked Tarnished by Karina Cooper pretty well too.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio