Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Review: A Lady and Her Magic by Tammy Falkner

A Lady and Her MagicPublisher:  Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402268122
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Romance/Fantasy/Fairies
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
Summary 
Rules Are Made to be Disobeyed...

Sophia Thorne is new to the Regency's glittering high society, which resembles her magical homeland only insofar as both places are filled with ridiculous rules. Which means no matter where she goes, she's bound for trouble...

And Scandals Are Meant to be Shocking...

The Duke of Robinsworth has flaunted and shocked society for years. In a moment of fateful mischief, Robinsworth encounters the enchanting and distinctly scandalous Sophia. Between her streak of magical mischief and his penchant for scandal, they're about to take rule-breaking to a whole new level...

My Review:

I knew this book was going to be good when I realized that Tammy Falkner is 1/2 of Lydia Dare. The best shapeshifter series on the planet is the Westfield Wolves series and I am hoping that she could do the same sort of magic for fairies. Fairies are not my favorite so it would take a really great book to get me even remotely interested.

I really liked Sophia. Very much, in fact. But she flabbergasted me at times with her decision making. I did not understand why she refused to stay with Ashley when she knew she loved him. I thought she was being ridiculously stubborn. I did begin to understand her reasoning when we meet her grandfather. He's such a sweetie. Ashley was a bit of a conundrum for me as well. I did not understand why he was supposed to be so bad. Yes, he was rumored to have murdered his wife but he was so sweet. He was a nice guy and a great father and a great hero.

I loved how Falkner approached fairy lore. Usually, it just doesn't work for me. Fairies in any book can trip and fall into Disney territory but Falkner's never do. It was believabe and relatable without ever approaching Tinkerbelle. The chemistry between Sophia and Ashley was also worth the price of admission. I think after finishing this book one thing stuck with me above all others--Ronald, the crotchety old garden gnome of awesomeness. I want a book just about him. I want to start a fan club dedicated to him. He was awesome.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to the next book (hopefully about either Finn or Marcus).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio