Search Me!


Friday, September 21, 2012

Review: When You Give a Duke a Diamond by Shana Galen

When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Pages: 356 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Series: Jewels of the Ton
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's


William, the sixth Duke of Pelham, enjoys his punctual. securely structured life. Orderly and predictable—that's the way he likes it. But he's in the public eye, and the scandal sheets will make up anything to sell papers. When the gossips link him to Juliette, one of the most beautiful and celebrated courtesans in London, chaos doesn't begin to describe what happens next...


Juliette is nicknamed the Duchess of Dalliance, and has the cream of the nobility at her beck and call. It's seriously disruptive to have the duke who's the biggest catch on the Marriage Mart scaring her other suitors away. Then she discovers William's darkest secret and decides what he needs in his life is the kind of excitement only she can provide...

My Review:

I saved this book for last because I knew that I would love it. That may sound a bit presumptious of me but when I find a book about a haughty or badly behaved hero, I must read it. And I was totally right. I did love this book. Intensely.

Juliette was one heck of an amazing heroine. I label many heroines as "strong" but she really was. She took care of her own business and did not depend on the hero to do it for her (it's a bit of a spoiler but if you read the book you'll get it). She was smart and rational in all that she did. I also love how she dealt with Will. He didn't exactly treat her nicely but she never got sad or dramatic about it. Will, on the other hand, was in need of a good scolding. He treats Juliette like crap for most of the book. He is so focused on his title that he can barely comprehend complex thought. But he has his reasons and once you get through his doltishness, he really is a sweetie.

This is one of the rare times in my reading life where I can say with absolute accuracy that there was nothing I did not like about this book. I loved everything. The chemistry between Juliette and Will was just perfect. He treated her not so nicely most of the time but I kind of like that. He was also a bit snooty---but I like that too. I also liked the mystery even though it was a bit open-ended but I am expecting that that will be resolved in future books.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio