Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: The Lady Risks All by Stephanie Laurens

The Lady Risks AllPublisher: Avon
ISBN: 0062068636
Pages: 496 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012,
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's
Summary:

See what happens when The Lady Risks All 
 
The passionate new love story from # 1 New York Times bestselling author of The Capture of the Earl of Glencrae, Stephanie Laurens

Neville Roscoe, notorious and enigmatic, lives resolutely outside society, bound only by his own code of honor—until challenged by his desire for the one woman he cannot have.

Miranda Clifford is a lady imprisoned by rigid respectability—until tempted by a passion beyond her power to deny.

Flung together in peril, through danger and intrigue, they discover a love impossible to ignore . . . or keep.
 
My Review:

Stephanie Laurens is kind of new to me. I have read some of her books but not all--that is kind of unusual for me (Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue is one). It has been on my to-do list to embark on a backlist read of all of Laurens' books and this one has convinced me that it is necessary that I start now.

Miranda was a really interesting heroine. For one, she is older than I am used to.  I identified with her in quite a number of ways. She's around my age in her late 20s and not at all anguished about getting married (also like me). Marriage for Miranda is a necessity but not a desire. She was smart and brave and had a good head on her shoulders. I don't meet many heroines with her kind of maturity. Neville was also quite interesting. He was also older and more mature. He was an alpha but he had none of the "out of control" feeling that I get from other alpha heroes in this genre. He was also quite noble because he literally gave everything away for his family. But he also has quite an edge to him in a more aloof rather than rakish way.

I have to say that the first time I read this one, I was all "Meh." The first time through I thought the story moved too slowly and the mystery overwhelmed the plot. It took a second read for me really to appreciate it for the awesome that it is. I loved that the focus wasn't all on the romance. The romance took a bit of a backseat to the mystery which is a nice break. The mystery developed at a steady pace and was interesting enough aside from the romance to keep me entertained. I really did appreciate the depth to this one. Stephanie Laurens did not skimp on any details. I don't know if anyone agrees with me but I am a HUGE fan of the page count--496 pages.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio