Search Me!


Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: Miss Lavigne's Little White Lie by Samantha Grace

Miss Lavigne's Little White Lie (Beau Monde, #3)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402258372
Pages: 416 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Series:  Beau Monde-1,2
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: PublisherAmazon, Indiebound, Powell's


A Scoundrel Drives a Hard Bargain...

Spirited and determined to protect her young brother at any cost, Lisette Lavigne is desperate to flee New Orleans. There’s only one ship sailing to England, though, and the rakish Captain Daniel Hillary will only allow Lisette’s family aboard for a very steep price...

But a Lady Always Gets the Upper Hand...

Daniel prides himself on running a tight ship, and he knows a lady will be nothing but trouble on a long voyage. Yet he can’t help but break his own ironclad rules when Lisette persuades him that being gentlemanly just this once is his wisest course of action.

My Review:

This is one of those series where I loved the first book but was a little let down my the second. It's usually a coin toss as to whether the next book will rebound the series for me and this one did. Miss Lavigne's Little White Lie was close to perfect. 

Lisette was almost the perfect heroine. She was sweet, brave, and smart. All good things. She was also very protective of her family and did not compromise on that at all. I do wish her secret had been a little more "big." It all seemed quite harmless and was brushed under the rug very quickly. I also really liked Daniel. I have a thing for pirate/sea captain/navyman heroes. I think it's because of my long ago crush on Jack Sparrow--shameful. He also made quite the impression on me from the previous books and I was looking forward to finding out just how bad of a rake he was. Turns out, not that bad. He was more broken from his past and he didn't think he could fall in love as a result. It actually kind of disappointed me. I am a big fan of rakes that actually act the part. But he was such a well-drawn character that I couldn't help but love him.

Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel still remains my favorite book in this series but this one comes a close second. I tend to love any romance that takes place aboard a ship. There is just something about an enclosed space without a means of escape that just works in a romance. The chemistry between Lisette and Daniel was great. Lisette was almost skittish when it came to Daniel and Daniel was very cautious with her and there was also the issue of his past. There was a nice push and pull with them that worked very well. I did notice that there were times when I felt my interest waning a bit. That is my only minor quibble and I always managed to find my way back into the story. Overall, this was a really enjoyable read. Perhaps not my favorite in the series but pretty darn close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio