Search Me!


Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review: Rev It Up by Julie Ann Walker

Rev It Up (Black Knights, Inc., #3)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402267185
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Military
Series:  Black Knights, Inc-1, 2
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: PublisherAmazon, Indiebound, Powell's


He Never Misses A Target

Jake "the Snake" Sommers earned his SEAL code name by striking quickly and quietly-and with lethal force. That's also how he broke Michelle Carter's heart. It was the only way to keep her safe-from himself. Four long years later, Jake is determined to get a second chance. But to steal back into Michelle's loving arms, Jake is going to have to prove he can take things slow. Real slow...

She Aims To Make Him Beg

Michelle Carter has never forgiven Jake for being so cliché as to "love her and leave her." But when her brother, head of the Black Knights elite ops agency, ticks off the wrong mobster, she must do the unimaginable: place her life in Jake's hands. No matter what they call him, this man is far from cold-blooded. And once he's wrapped around her heat, he'll never let her go...

My Review:

This series is a bit iffy for me. I didn't like the first book very much, LOVED the second and this one is a bit "Meh." It was good but it's definitely not going on my favorites list.

Every reader has their achilles heel. Mine happens to be shrill heroines. Michelle wasn't an overly bad case of shrill heroine-ness but she was definitely getting there. She was either yelling or crying--there was no middle ground with her. She was always in some form of hysterics and, while I may sympathize with her, I just can't handle the constant emotional outbursts of rage or sadness. I, quite honestly, did not have any clue what to do with her. It's odd because I thought I was going to really like her based on In Rides Trouble. Jake was a completely different story for me. I loved him in spite of his surferness. He was the perfect hero. He was kind, reliable and protective. 

It is a very rare occasion when I can say that I liked a book even though I disliked one of the main characters. Usually that is a connection that I need to have. This is one of those rare occasions. I loved the action and mystery of the plot. I though Jake and Michelle worked well together in spite of my near dislike of Michelle. I did, however, notice that there was an abundance of crying in this book. Almost everyone shed tears at the drop of a hat. It kind of reminded me of the vomit escapades of the first book. It was much less disgusting though but it did get a little bit annoying. Stop crying! 

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the next book, Thrill Ride, because it is about my absolute favorite couple, Vanessa and Rock.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah! That happens when you don't exactly like the main characters but the story does it for you! Glad you liked the book and great review! This sounds like a nice series...

    Sarika @ The Readdicts



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio