Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: Seducing Mr. Knightly by Maya Rodale

Seducing Mr. Knightly (The Writing Girls, #4)Publisher: Avon
ISBN: 0062088947
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Victorian
Series: The Writing Girls-1,2,3,3.5
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012, E-book Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: PublisherAmazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

He’s the only man she’s ever loved…

For ages it seems advice columnist Annabelle Swift has loved Derek Knightly, editor-owner of The London Weekly from a distance. Determined to finally attract her employer’s attention, she seeks advice from her loyal readers—who offer Annabelle myriad suggestions…from lower-cut bodices (success!) and sultry gazes (disaster!) to a surprise midnight rendezvous (wicked!).

She’s the only woman he never noticed…

Derek never really took note of his shy, wallflower lady writer. But suddenly she’s exquisite…and he can’t get Annabelle out of his mind! She must be pursuing someone, but who? For some inexplicable reason, the thought of her with another man makes Knightly insanely jealous.

Will Dear Annabelle find her happy ending?

But Knightly’s scandalous periodical has been targeted for destruction by a vengeful Lord Marsden, and the beleaguered editor now faces a devastating choice: either marry Marsden’s sister to save his beloved newspaper…or follow his heart and wed his Writing Girl.

My Review:

I am rushing to write my reviews for this week in a rush because, it turns out, I am in the path of the Frankenstorm and I don't know if it's going to be a complete travesty or not. 

I know that a book has gone above and beyond "like" when I finish it in an hour. Not even an hour where I was not otherwise busy but an hour where I had other things to do. Many other things. Seducing Mr. Knightly could not be put down. 

Annabelle was a very shy and timid heroine. It took much effort to coax her out of her corner. I would usually say a character like Annabelle is weak and wimpy and would be frustrated that so much effort was being made to put baby in her corner. But somehow with Annabelle it didn't. I loved her more and more with every passing page. I became quite protective of her to the point where I wanted to do physical harm to the hero. I also didn't like that she had to change herself to get Derek to notice her. But he was such a dolt that it was probably her only option aside from a 2x4 upside the head. Derek, our hero, was very business-like and stoic. Not exactly my type of hero but close enough to be comfortable. He was very willing to do anything to get what he felt he deserved and to protect his newspaper including almost getting engaged to another woman in spite of his feelings for Annabelle. He was so ruthlessly ambitious. Throughout the whole book, I vociferated  between loving Derek for his Darcy-ness and wanting to take him out with a shovel. He brushed Annabelle aside so often. I felt like jumping into the book and telling Annabelle to move on from this dunderhead and find someone with braincells. 

I love the word "nodcock." It's the best thing I've ever heard and is now my go-to word for "you stupid stupid man." Annabelle and Derek did frustrate me. I felt for Annabelle and wanted to beat some sense into Derek. But they really worked so well together. I also loved how the chapters started with a little tidbit from the various gossip sheets. I found them almost as entertaining as the book itself. This book was filled with angsty moments but it also had a nice dose of humor which worked well to break up the drama. I don't mind drama and angst in my romances but there should be some humor to balance it out. And, perhaps, the best part of this book is I have found a new (to me) author whose writing style I adore. Maya Rodale is going on my Auto-Buy list. I highly highly recommend this book. 

1 comment:

  1. You finished the book in an hour?! Wow. This really seems like a great read and it sounds totally interesting. Great review! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio