Search Me!


Monday, October 8, 2012

Review: Sultry With a Twist by Macy Beckett

Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402270364
Pages: 320 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Small Town
Series:  Sultry Springs
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

When Mae-June July Augustine hightailed it out of Sultry Springs, Texas, with her heart in pieces, she swore she'd never return. But nine years later, one thing stands between June and her dream of opening an upscale martini bar: a month of community service under the supervision of the devilishly sexy Luke Gallagher, her first love and ex-best friend. As lust turns to love, June must decide where she belongs: in the glorious anonymity of Austin or back in Sultry Springs with the man who intoxicates her like no other. 

My Review:

This book has been starring at me from my TBR pile for the longest time. I knew it would be good so I also had that requisite fear of disappointment. But I am happy to say that this book did not let me down at all. It exceeded all of my expectations.

First of all, I felt so bad for June. Her name was Mae-June July Augustine. What type of evil, cruel people would do that to their child? Simply wretched. Aside from her tragedy of a name, I really liked her. I identified with her and thought she had a great personality and humor about her. I loved Luke too. Even though I had moments where I just wanted to smack him just a little. He didn't always treat June the way she deserved to be treated. He had his reason but it took a Big Damn Revelation to get him to that point and it took a while. I did love his Epic Bromance with Trey. Adorable.

I absolutely loved the small town feel of this one. Sultry Springs is one of those places that would make me crazy. Conservative, Christian, and a completely dry county. I'm a New Yorker. I am not used to my neighbors being in my business like that. But the people in this town seem so sweet, kind and generous that I think I might not mind living there after all. The chemistry between June and Luke was create considering that they grew up in the same house. She had a crush on him and he manwhored around and then something very bad happens resulting in years of separation. As you can probably gather from my rather haphazard description, this book has its moments of heartwrenching but it also has its moments of humor. It was a perfect mix of both.

Macy Beckett has gotten herself a new fan. I loved this book and can't wait for the next one. I hope it's about Trey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio