Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, October 12, 2012

Review: The Trouble With Highlanders by Mary Wine

The Trouble with Highlanders (Highlander, #5)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN:  1402264747
Pages: 320 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Highlander
Series:  Highlander-1,2,3,4
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

She Has Hardly Any Choices Left...

With her clan on the wrong side of the struggle for the Scottish throne, heiress Daphne Macleod, once the toad of the court, is out of options...

And They're All Dangerous...

Norris Sutherland once helped Daphne, but she walked away from him without a backward glance. Now she's in deep trouble and needs him more than ever. But he may be lost forever...unless she can somehow convince him to forgive her.

My Review:

Mary Wine is one of my favorites. I love her Highlander romances and I adored her steampunk romance (A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious). She is very rarely a miss with me and, luckily, I loved this one as well. 

Daphne was a likable heroine. She was headstrong and a bit foolhardy. She did have some moments of obnoxious but nothing too bad. She was brave, smart and hard working. I did wish that she would just let loose her rage on the people who treated her badly--especially that evil, mean cook. But I love that she never gave them the satisfaction of seeing her lose control. Norris was a bit of a conundrum for me. First of all, his name. Norris. When I hear that name, I think "Chuck Norris" and that was the image that entered my head every time I saw his name. Not a good image. Secondly, he was cocky and had more swagger than a rock star on stage. I don't exactly know if that makes him more appealing or less. I am still trying to figure that out. 

I loved this book. The chemistry between Daphne and Norris was perfect. I love that they have a history together and that their history actually plays a part in the book. It wasn't mentioned once and forgotten about. I appreciated that. It also caused a bit of angst which is always good. I could not put this book down once I started. I read every chance I got. That's unusual for me. I usually either read in one huge uninterrupted block or I don't read at all. And I am usually pretty patient so I will wait for that uninterrupted block of time. But I simply couldn't with this one. It was like a compulsion. Every free minute/second was spend reading. That, my friends, is a sign of a good book. 

1 comment:

  1. I always love I'm so hooked to a book that the only thing I want to do is read :) I'm glad you experienced that with this one! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio