Search Me!


Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Review: The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James

The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)Publisher: Avon
ISBN: 0062021737
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Fairy Tale
Series:  Fairy Tale-1,2,3
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

How can she dare to imagine he loves her . . . when all London calls her The Ugly Duchess?
Theodora Saxby is the last woman anyone expects the gorgeous James Ryburn, heir to the Duchy of Ashbrook, to marry. But after a romantic proposal before the prince himself, even practical Theo finds herself convinced of her soon-to-be duke's passion.
Still, the tabloids give the marriage six months.
Theo would have given it a lifetime . . . until she discovers that James desired not her heart, and certainly not her countenance, but her dowry.
Society was shocked by their wedding . . . and is scandalized by their separation.
Now James faces the battle of his life, convincing Theo that he loves the duckling who blossomed into the swan.
And Theo will quickly find that, for a man with the soul of a pirate, All's Fair in Love—and War.

My Review:

I have been looking forward to reading this book since it arrived at my doorstep. Mainly because it promised much heartfail but also because it is by one of my favorites and comes from the beautiful people at Avon who enable my addiction.

I loved Theo. I did. She was the perfect heroine. She really shined in the first half of the book. She was so strong and I loved that she had the strength to stick to her guns when she learned of James and his father's subterfuge. I liked James as well. Some may have trouble with his pseudo-cheating but in my mind, the marriage was essentially over. Was he supposed to remain celibate for the rest of his days? Theo made the choice to abstain. James should not be vilified because he did not. This is just my opinion but he did not commit adultery because the marriage ended when Theo kicked him out.

I loved this book. Every little bit of it. I loved it so much that when I was done, I turned the book back to page one and started it over again. I loved the angst and the heartfail. It is also okay for those readers who are sensitive to infidelity because really the marriage was over. But I'm a reader of bodice rippers so I like it when the hero behaves particularly bad. I guess I have a high tolerance. The only thing that didn't quite work so well for me was the abrupt ending. I felt that this one could have used another 50 or so pages. The ending felt as if it came out of nowhere. This is why I miss the days of the 400+ page romance novel. I'm probably one of the only wackos out there campaigning for a higher page count.



  1. Now I can't wait to start reading this one--it's a few down my pile right now, but I may bump it up!


  2. Hi there, the October edition of Books You Loved is live. Here is the link Books You Loved October Edition Please do pop by and link in a post about a book you loved. Maybe this one? Cheers



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio