Search Me!


Thursday, November 8, 2012

Feature and Follow Friday (November 9th)

Hi everyone! I missed last week because of an evil bitch named Sandy but I am back now :)

Reviews Posted This Week:

Q: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?
I am of two minds with this. On one hand, I believe that originality is a beautiful thing. I get so tired of reading the same thing over and over again.  I have read so many different versions of the same plot—clearly based on Twilight---that it bored me almost completely out of the YA genre. They can almost be considered fan fiction in and of themselves.  But on the other hand, I am a big fan of fan fiction especially Twific. I don’t like it when my favorite stories are pulled to publish but I recognize that some of these stories are so far from Twilight as to be unrecognizable. A famous fan fiction called The Office will soon be published by Gallery Books as Beautiful Bastard and you wouldn’t know it was a Twific unless you’d read it before. Also a good example, Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia is one of my absolute favorite novels that was once a Twific. 


  1. I'm not big on fan fic, but if done well, I'm not entirely opposed to it. Old follower via GFC. My FFs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Friday! :D

  2. I'm not a big fan of blatant Twilight knockoffs in which I can instantly pick out the Bella and Edward types. Fortunately, though, I haven't run into too many yet during my YA reading travels.

    I hope that things are improving where you are after Sandy. I'm originally from Brooklyn, and it was so sad to see the city absolutely battered like that.

    New GFC follower. Our FF

  3. I am not a fan-fic fan at all. I don't read any of that stuff. But I don't mind a new spin on other stories if the author twists it around a little. Some stories are so universal that it’s almost a given that they will be retold, like The Iliad and the Odyssey. The story is an archetype of the hero’s journey.

    New follow via GFC.

    Julie~ New Adult Addiction

  4. True. Fanfics could be fun and entertaining. ;)

    New follower via GFC~
    Cindy @

  5. Hopping through. I love Twific, although the stuff I like most is strictly canon and obviously couldn't be published on its own.
    My Hop

  6. Just blogging by, like your answer.

  7. I never really explored fanfic but I understand all the craze there is for it. I'm a fan of originality.
    New follower. :)

  8. I've been craving originality lately, so I'm avoiding Twific for the most part! Good post though :D

    I'm a new follower :D Here is my FFF

  9. I agree! I don't mind as long as there seems to be some original thought put into the story.

  10. Nice blog I am a new follower.



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio