Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Review: Heart of a Texan by Leigh Greenwood

Heart of a TexanPublisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402263996
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Western
Series:  Night Riders-1,2,3,4,5,6
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: PublisherAmazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

In The Wrong Place...

Roberta didn't mean to hurt anyone. But the night the masked bandits raided her ranch, it was hard to tell friend from foe. She didn't know Nate Dolan was only trying to help when she shot him in the chest. And when he offers to help her catch the culprits, she only feels guiltier. The absolute least she can do is nurse the rugged cowboy back to health...

With All The Right Moves

Nate has been on the vengeance trail so long, he nearly forgot what a real home looked like. And Roberta is mighty fine incentive to stay put for a while — even if she has a stubborn streak as wide as the great state of Texas. She might be convinced she's healing the wound in his chest, but neither of them known she's also soothing the hurt in his heart.

My Review:

Leigh Greenwood has a special place in my heart because the first romance I ever picked up was a copy of Jake in his Cowboys series. I am always thrilled to read one of his books and this was no exception.

Roberta did have some of those classic overly foolhardy and reckless traits that tend to annoy me in some heroines. Not very badly at all and I really did like her for the most part. She was smart, brave and self-sufficient. I do wish she had told the nosy yet well-meaning spinster, Prudence, to bugger off. Nate was a nice guy. As much as I love bad boy heroes, it's always nice to come across a not obnoxious nice guy hero. Nate was honorable and kind. He helped Roberta even though she shot him and got him into a whole mess of trouble. Like I said, nice guy.

I really did like this book a lot. I love that the chemistry between Roberta and Nate was slow to develop. It really didn't come to fruition until the last part of the book. It was a slow boil and it really worked. I also loved the action. I was very happy to see Super Baddy Laveau get what was coming to him because I have been reading about him for a very long time and I have been waiting for him to get the what-for.  I do have one minor quibble and it is trivial. When Roberta was talking to Nate and, his cook, Benny  about herbs, Benny says "I come from Italy. We don't eat weeds" (page 170). I beg to differ. Italians have been using herbs and plants both in cooking and medicinally for many many many many years. Basil, parsley, dandelion, chicory, rosemary etc.  You should not need to educate a good Italian cook on herbs, a good Italian cook would never say that and you should fire any Italian cook who does say that because their food probably tastes like cardboard. It's just not accurate. But that quibble had no impact on my enjoyment of the book at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio