Search Me!


Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Review: A Royal Pain by Megan Mulry

A Royal PainPublisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
ISBN: 1402269978 
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's


Smart, ambitious, and career driven, Bronte Talbot started following British royalty in the gossip mags only to annoy her intellectual father. But her fascination has turned into a not-so-secret guilty pleasure. When she starts dating a charming British doctoral student, she teases him unmercifully about the latest scandals of his royal countrymen, only to find out—to her horror!!—that she's been having a fling with the nineteenth Duke of Northrop, and now he wants to make her...a duchess?

In spite of her frivolous passion for all things royal, Bronte isn't at all sure she wants the reality. Is becoming royalty every American woman's secret dream, or is it a nightmare of disapproving dowagers, paparazzi, stiff-upper-lip tea parties, and over-the-top hats?

My Review:

I did not know what to expect when I started this book. Chicklit is either a big huge fail or a big bunch of awesome for me. I do have to say that this may be one of my favorites that I've read in a very long time. It was the perfect combination of romance and humor. I loved it.

Bronte was a great heroine. First of all, her name was epic. But really, I loved her because she was lovable, smart and a bit of a potty mouth. I thought that Bronte was utterly charming. I don't think there was anything that I didn't like about Bronte and she didn't do anything to piss me off at all. Max was equally amazing. Has there ever been a bad hero named Max? He was a nice guy and not at all haughty or uppity. He also didn't talk to Bronte like she was three shades of imbecile like I was kind of expecting.

I have never been one of those girls in love with the idea of royalty or anything like that but I think I may be a little bit in love with this book. It was perfect in every possible way. The chemistry between Bronte and Max was perfect. They did have their brief and not so brief spats, breakups and misunderstandings but they were just so perfect for each other. All the other characters were equally delightful. This really was the perfect mix of romance and humor. I also appreciated that the humor never got embarrassing or slapstick. I just don't find that type of humor funny but I appreciated the delicate hand with the humor. It reminded me of a Jill Mansell book and that's a pretty big compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio