Search Me!


Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Review: The Bridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace Burrowes

The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN:  1402268661
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Highlander
Series:   MacGregor Trilogy
Challenges- 100 Books In A Year 2012, Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2012, Romance Reading Challenge 2012
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's


His Family or His Heart — One of Them Will Be Betrayed...

Ian MacGregor is wooing a woman who's wrong for him in every way. As the new Earl of Balfour, though, he must marry an English heiress to repair the family fortunes.

But in his intended's penniless chaperone, Augusta, Ian is finding everything he's ever wanted in a wife.

My Review:

Grace Burrowes is one of my favorites. All of her books have found their way onto my favorites pile. When I saw that she was releasing a Highlander romance, I just about did a dance of joy.

Augusta was just the perfect heroine. Yes, she was a bit eccentric and a bit of a plain jane but she was strong and smart and never let Ian have an easy time of it. She could have gone the easier, weepier route but she didn't and that made me love her. Ian was a great Highlander hero. He was strong and all that you would expect from a Highlander hero. But he also surprised me a little bit. He outright admitted that he would rather marry for love--most heroes I've come across in similar situations accept their fate with a shrug and an "Oh well. There's always mistresses." He was completely different and I liked it. 

I usually find it so frustrating when the hero is supposed to marry the heroine's prettier cousin/sister/whatever. It sometimes takes me straight out of a book depending on how much I was already frustrated. But in this one, it was never angsty or stressful because you knew they loved each other. It was just a question of duty. I also loved that this one wasn't solely focused on Augusta and Ian but had a very strong group of secondary characters. I definitely recommend this one and, really, all of Grace Burrowes' books--there's not a dud in the lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio