Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Review: Checkmate, My Lord by Tracey Devlyn

Checkmate, My Lord (Nexus, #2)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402258259
Pages: 394 pages
Genre:Romance/Historical
Series:   Nexus-1
Challenges-TK
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

THE STAKES ARE HIGH, THE PLAYERS IN POSITION...

Catherine Ashcroft leads a quiet life caring for her precocious seven-year-old daughter, until a visitor delivers a startling ultimatum. She will match wits with the enigmatic Earl of Somerton, and it's not just her heart that's in danger.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN...

Spymaster Sebastian Danvers, Earl of Somerton, is famous for his cunning. Few can outwit him and even few dare challenge him--until now. After returning to his country estate, his no-nonsense neighbor turns her seductive wiles on him--but why would a respectable widow like Catherine risk scandal for a few passionate nights in his bed?

 

My Review:

Checkmate, My Lord came as a surprise to me. I've been snailing my way through books lately. Even if I loved them. But not this one. I breezed right through it and enjoyed every single page of it.

Catherine was one fantastic heroine. She was smart and capable. She made some bad decisions in trusting the wrong people while being suspicious of the person she should trust but she did her best for her daughter. I love how her concern for her child never faded to the background when she met Sebastian. She was willing to do anything for her child and you have to love that. Sebastian was the perfect hero for Catherine. He was very “spy”. Very logical and fact-oriented. He did have a softer side when it came to Catherine and her daughter.

I really liked this book. I'm not usually a fan of spy storylines in my romance novels. It tends to take over and the main characters kind of lose their chemistry in order to solve whatever mystery. But not in this one. The mystery was front and center but the development of the relationship was just as important. Catherine and Sebastian also had some amazing chemistry. They had a nice push/pull type of bickerson relationship for much of the book. Normally, that doesn't quite work for me and takes me out of the love story but it actually added to my interest in Catherine and Sebastian. This is one of the rare spy/historical romances that manages to balance the spy and historical romance storylines well. Needless to say, I am waiting for Tracey Devlyn's next book very anxiously.

And...has there ever been a Bad Romance book with a hero named Sebastion? I'm really curious about that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio