Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: A Captain and a Corset by Mary Wine

A Captain and a Corset (Steam Guardians, #2)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402264836
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Romance/Steampunk
Series:   Steam Guardians-1
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 2013, 2013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

There's Trouble in the Skies...
For Sophia Stevenson, there's no going back to the life she knew. She never asked for the powers that make her a precious commodity to the secret society of Illuminists—and their archenemies.
Captain Bion Donkova would give anything to possess the powers that have fallen in Sophia's lap. If only the beautiful, infuriating woman could stay out of trouble, he wouldn't have to keep coming to her rescue...
Bion and Sophia have friction to spare—and nothing fuels a forbidden passion better than danger...

My Review:

Beginning Babble-This is another steampunk series that got me interested in the genre. The first book in the series, A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious, was one of my favorites. Needless to say, I was looking forward to this book in a big, huge way.

Characters

Heroine: Sophia- She was brave and smart. She was strong without being a Mary Sue. Amazing characteristics to find in a heroine in any genre. I loved that she kicked ass on her own and wasn't simply Bion's romantic foil and adventure sidekick. 
 
Hero: Bion- Honestly, the only thing negative I can say about him was I didn't like his name. I mean, that's a rather petty complaint but that's all I have. He was one of those heroes that are a bit cold and a bit hard to figure out. And I like that. He had the Darcy complex. 
 
Chemistry-They had this interesting dynamic where he was her teacher. He wasn't always nice about it. In fact, he was quite brutal at times. She had nightmares after one of his “lessons” and, while it was a bit on the iffy side, he had his reasons. He kind of had that Snape-ish tough love teacher thing going on.
 
Chemistry Rating:

Ending Babble-I think it is safe to say that I love this book and this series. I have loved most of Mary Wine's books but this series may be my favorite. The worldbuilding was amazing and it was so detailed. I haven't read much steampunk but this series is one of my favorites in terms of worldbuilding that I have read. The action was gripping and just as interesting as the romance. The scenes in the airship were just so perfectly detailed and action-packed. I think I would have loved this book even if it wasn't a romance. I can't wait for the next book. 
 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I love steampunk and romance, so I'll have to check this out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Cat @ A2H

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio