Search Me!


Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review: The Officer and the Secret by Jeanette Murray

The Officer and the Secret (Semper Fi, #3)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402265468
Pages: 346 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Military
Series:   Semper Fi-1,2
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 20132013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's


If There's One Thing He Hates, It's a Secret...
Coming home after a rough deployment, Captain Dwayne Robertson wants some stability in his life, and finds it in the friendship he's forged with Veronica Gibson while he was away. But her past is a well-guarded mystery, and Dwayne doesn't know if he can deal with a woman who has something to hide...
And She's Filled with Them...
Veronica Gibson doesn't want anyone to know about her bizarre upbringing. She's finally escaped her missionary parents and would be enjoying her independence if she didn't feel so insecure about fitting in. She can easily envision a glorious future with Dwayne—but can she build a new life on a web of lies?


My Review:

Intro Babble: This series started out very well for me with TheOfficer Breaks the Rules and then fell a bit short with TheOfficer Says "I Do". I was hoping for this series to make a big comeback with Dwayne and Veronica's book and I am happy to say that it did.


Heroine: Veronica-I really really liked her. And that's a victory in and of itself lately. I usually balk at the more conservative heroines for some reason. But not Veronica. I guess because I liked her so much in the last book. And it was incredibly easy to identify with her even though her past was rather extraordinary.

Hero: Dwayne-I never thought I would like a hero named Dwayne so much. But I did. He had a very slick Southern charm but it wasn't at all shallow. He had layers. He had a very sensitive and broken side as well. He was definitely my favorite hero out of the three in this series.

Chemistry: There was a lot of the should they/shouldn't they going on because of Veronica's past and Dwayne's PTSD. I liked that both of those storylines were not brushed over at all. I did not, however, like how Dwayne treated Veronica towards the end of the book because of his own personal hangups. I thought it was unfair and it made me mad.

Chemistry Rating:

Ending Babble: I am in love with this book. The characters were all well-drawn and interesting. It was very easy to identify with each one of them. I also really enjoyed the slow-build of the relationship between Dwayne and Veronica was just perfectly paced and so much more satisfying a story than the insta-love books I have been reading lately. I think this one may be my favorite out of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio