Search Me!


Thursday, August 1, 2013

Feature and Follow Friday (August 2nd)

Hosted by Parajunkee & Alison Can Read

My RSS Feed

How do you handle a book you don’t like? Do you DNF or do you power through?

I used to power through. I used to dedicate weeks to finishing crappy books because I felt intense guilt about not finishing a book I had started no matter how craptastic it was. But, lately, I have realized that I only have a certain amount of time to read all of those books I really really want to read and that I should not waste my time reading books I don't like. I also don't want to waste a good deal of my life being bored out of my mind. I instituted a 5 Chapter limit. If a book hasn't caught my interest by Chapter 5, it's not likely to. I also don't believe in not reviewing DNF'd books because if I hated a book enough that I gave up on it, there are reasons and I don't need to suffer through a terrible book in order to tell you why I hated it. I do state that it was a DNF in the review though but I will tell you why, in detail.


  1. That's a good rule. The 5 Chapter Rule. I usually DNF unless I like the characters. New follower :) Check my FF at

  2. A five chapter limit is a great idea! Although, I'm not really good at remembering what chapter I'm on. I try to make it 1/3 of the way through the novel, but sometimes I don't even get that far.

    New bloglovin follower

    My FF

  3. I love your rating system, just gotta say that real quick! :) I also try not to DNF and reader's guilt seems to be the blogger's disease or something, as I still have re-occurring outbreaks of it. Five chapters is a good idea though! :) New follower on Bloglovin and Twitter.

    My FF:

  4. I know that feeling - but I always try to remind myself that I love to read books, and although this is kind of my job now, I won't waste my time reading sometimes I won't enjoy. New bloglovin' follower :3

    Happy Friday!
    My FF
    Blogaversary Giveaway

  5. I always follow through on a book that I start reading because I don't like putting a book down. I'm a new bloglovin follower.

  6. Usually I will give it 50-100 pages but it has to be fast-paced to keep my interest. I just don't have the time to finish books that don't engage me. I'm picky about what I read so only have 1 DNF so far!

    New follower :)

    Mia Hoddell
    Gift card giveaway

  7. 5 chapters is a good rule of thumb. I just kinda go with my vibe I usually know pretty quick if a book isn't for me, but sometimes I'm surprised.

    New follower RSS, bloglovin and GFC. Have a good day!



Blog Template by In Between Design Studio