Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review: It Takes Two to Tangle by Theresa Romain

It Takes Two to Tangle (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402283997
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Series:   The Matchmaker Trilogy
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 20132013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

Wooing the Wrong Woman…
Henry Middlebrook is back from fighting Napoleon, ready to re-enter London society where he left it. Wounded and battle weary, he decides that the right wife is all he needs. Selecting the most desirable lady in the ton, Henry turns to her best friend and companion to help him with his suit…

Is a Terrible Mistake…
Young and beautiful, war widow Frances Whittier is no stranger to social intrigue. She finds Henry Middlebrook courageous and manly, unlike the foppish aristocrats she is used to, and is inspired to exercise her considerable wit on his behalf. But she may be too clever for her own good, and Frances discovers that she has set in motion a complicated train of events that’s only going to break her own heart…

My Review:

Beginning Babble: The last thing I need is another author added to my auto-buy list. That list is endless. But I am afraid that I must because Theresa Romain is awesome and It Takes Two to Tangle was awesome...Yeah, she's on my auto-buy list.

Characters:


Heroine: Frances-I really loved her. I felt so bad for her. She was in love with a man who was courting her cousin. How much does that suck? There is literally no more gut-wrenching scenario.

Hero: Henry-I wanted to hurt him. I wanted to hit him over the head with a shovel. I wanted to do terrible wretched things to him. Because he did not see that Frances was 10x the heroine that Caroline was. He was a dolt...And yet I found him likable in spite of my desire to hurt him. He was distracted by the shiny but he eventually got over it...even though it took a while.

Chemistry-In spite of my frustration with Henry, I really did love Frances and Henry together. It did get a bit angsty because that tends to happen when the hero is courting someone not the heroine. But I like angst so it worked well for me.

Chemistry Rating:


Ending Babble: I always judge romance authors based simply on how well they can write angst. If they go overboard in a soap opera, melodramatic kind of way, I tend to think less of them as an author. Theresa Romain handled the angst with a deft hand. It was enough angst to befit the situation and no more. It was perfect. Even those readers out there who dislike angst in their books will be okay with this one, I think, because of the gentle way it's handled.

1 comment:

  1. Need to pick this one up I think .


    Joelle @http://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio