Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review: Never Desire a Duke by Lily Dalton

Publisher: Forever
ISBN: 1455524018
Pages: 416 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Series: One Scandalous Season
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 2013, 2013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

A Marriage Beyond Hope

Lady Sophia has long been estranged from her husband, Vane Barwick, the Duke of Claxton, whose rumored list of amorous conquests includes almost every beautiful woman of the ton. Yet a shocking encounter with him in a crowded ballroom-and a single touch-are all it takes to reawaken her furious passion for him. But how can she trust the man who crushed her dreams and took away the one thing she wanted most?

A Love Beyond Reason

Claxton has never forgiven himself for the youthful mistake that ruined his marriage to Sophia. Now, after nearly a year abroad, the reformed rogue vows to win back the only woman he's ever truly loved. He'll do whatever it takes to prove he can be the honorable husband she deserves-and the passionate lover she desires. As the snowdrifts deepen outside their ancestral home, can they rekindle the flame that burned so bright and find a new path to forever?

My Review:

Beginning Babble: Lily Dalton is a very new to me author but I read the summary of this one and just about fell in love. It sounded liked just the right amount of angsty goodness. A broken marriage plus misunderstandings nearly always equals a great read for me. And that remained true in the case of Never Desire A Duke.


Characters:


Heroine: Sophia-I really liked Sophia. Granted, there were aspects of her character that very nearly hit all my levels of frustration. She was stubborn, quick to anger, slow to forgive...I could go on. But I found that, in spite of it all, I really did love Sophia. I wanted her and Vane to be happy so very desperately because I wanted good things to happen to her.


Hero: Vane-I loved Vane,too. He was heartbreaking. He made himself a better man for Sophia. Seriously, if Grease was around back then “Hopelessly Devoted To You” would play every time he looked at Sophia. But, of course, past mistakes nearly always come back to bite you in the proverbial behind and they definitely did for Vane.


Chemistry: Honestly, in spite of my love for both characters, I just wanted to shake the both of them. I wanted to jump into the book and tell them to get it together. I wanted them to work out. But this is not a bad thing. I wanted to yell at them because they were so perfect together even in spite of their angst.


Chemistry Rating:


Ending Babble: I think this book proves that my policy of avoiding holiday books like the plague is a bad one. The holidays are there but it's not in your face and even if it was a holiday infested book, I still think I would have liked it. I loved this book from start to finish. It's one of those that I breezed through and even stalled a bit so it could last longer. I think Lily Dalton is one of those authors that I will follow. Her writing style is just my speed. She captures angst and draws her characters beautifully. She's almost Lisa Kleypas-esque I already have her next book, Never Entice an Earl on my wishlist.

I cannot tell you how much I highly recommend Never Desire a Duke. It's one of my favorites of the year. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio