Search Me!

Loading...

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Review: Against the Ropes by Sarah Castille

Against the Ropes (Against the Ropes, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402284853
Pages: 351 pages
Genre: Romance/Erotica/BDSM
Series:  Against the Ropes
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 2013, Sports Romance Reading Challenge 2013, 2013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

He scared me. He thrilled me.
And after one touch, all I could think about was getting more... 



Makayla never thought she'd set foot in an elite mixed martial arts club. But if anyone needs a medic on hand, it's these guys. Then again, at her first sight of the club's owner, she's the one feeling breathless.

The man they call Torment is all sleek muscle and restrained power. Whether it's in the ring or in the bedroom, he knows exactly when a soft touch is required and when to launch a full-on assault. He always knows just how far he can push. And he's about to tempt Makayla in ways she never imagined..

My Review:

Beginning Babble: I am a big fan of sports romance. How can I not be? I am one of those crazy sports fans. I was really looking forward to the underground fighting and all the macho males that come along with it. But, I found that this one fell quite a bit short for me.

Characters:

Heroine: Makayla-Oh boy did I not like her. Mostly because she flummoxed me. She is an EMT but she has a fear of blood. Does that make any sense? No. As an EMT, there is a fair bet that blood will be a daily part of your life. How will she be able to treat people if she is sitting in a corner with her head between her legs? I would have bought the fear of blood if she had been an accountant or a lawyer but someone in the medical profession, no. And then there is that bit with the loan collector. No loan collector treates people like that. It wasn't like she owed, perhaps, the mob money. It was a regular college loan. They can't threaten or harrass you even if you fall behind. And what made it worse is Mac just took it. She told jokes to the guy. She didn't say...call his superiors or report him to the cops...she told him jokes. Brilliant.

Hero: Max- I liked him marginally better than I liked Mac. Only marginally. He was still problematic. His concept of BDSM was very Edward Cullen. “You shall know what I am thinking because I am thinking it and I know so you should know too.” He just expected her to figure things out...it actually kind of sounded like he was figuring things out as he was going along. I also would have prefered it if he was just a normal guy who happened to fight underground in his free time. The addition of the billionaire plotline made him seem too Christian Grey for my liking.

Chemistry: I didn't have as much trouble with Max and Makayla together as I did with them individually but still they fell short for me. The portrayal of a BDSM relationship was so iffy and it was so one sided. Makayla let Max just lead her around and she very rarely questioned anything. Their dynamic just didn't work for me.

Chemistry Rating:

Ending Babble: I walked into this book thinking that I was absolutely going to love it and I did breeze through it but so much of the book went awry for me. I think there is a good book in here. I enjoyed some parts. The secondary characters were great, the writing was well-done, and the MMA fighting aspect was interesting. But at times, it just seemed like mishmash of many of the plot points in other similar BDSM erotica books. I just wish it had been a bit simpler. If Max was just a normal dude who happened to fight underground in his spare time and if Makayla hadn't had the drama with the over-aggressive school loan collector and been an EMT with a healthy fear of blood, I think it would have worked much better for me. 

I do think that while Against the Ropes fell a bit short for me, I will stick around for the next book, In Your Corner, because Jake and Amanda's story sounds so good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio