Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, October 14, 2013

Review: Bad Nights by Rebecca York

Bad Nights (Rockfort Security, #1)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402280009
Pages: 331 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Suspense
Series: Rockfort Security
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 20132013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

You Only Get a Second Chance...

Private operative and former Navy SEAL Jack Brandt barely escaped a disastrous undercover assignment, thanks to the most intriguing woman he's ever met. When his enemies track him to her doorstep, he'll do anything to protect Morgan from the danger closing in on them both...

If You Stay Alive...

Since her husband's death, Morgan Rains has only been going through the motions. She didn't think anything could shock her—until she finds a gorgeous man stumbling naked and injured through the woods behind her house. He's mysterious, intimidating—and undeniably compelling.
Thrown together into a pressure cooker of danger and intrigue, Jack and Morgan are finding in each other a reason to live—if they can survive.

 

My Review:

Beginning Babble-This one started out so well for me and I am not exactly sure where it went wrong. Towards the middle of the book, I just found myself drifting off into a sea of uninterested. I did try to get back into it but I think it's just not my cuppa.

Characters:

Heroine: Morgan-I liked her. She was strong and brave. She never really had a moment of being overwhelmed even though she kind of deserved to feel overwhelmed. She was strong and capable and one of the bright spots in the book. She's a heroine in the emphatically not Mary Sue kind of way.

Hero: Jack: I liked him too. He was just as well-drawn as Morgan. He was brave and strong but he also had a gentleness that I really liked. I did have a bit of the same disconnect that I had with Morgan about halfway through the book. He rebounded towards the end but it was a bit too late.

Chemistry-I am a bit flummoxed as to why I had a bit of a disconnect with both Morgan and Jack. The closest I can come to a reason is that I liked them both as individuals but together I just didn't buy it. It was insta-love and unless one or both of them happen to be a paranormal creature, it very rarely works for me. I had moments of really liking them together but for the most part, it was a bit flat.

Chemistry Rating-

Ending Babble-This book presents the odd prospect of a romance storyline that did not work for me at all and a mystery and suspense plot that kept me in it. That happens rarely. I don't know if this one would have been a DNF without the suspense plot but I think it would have been a close call.

I do have to say though that while this did not work well for me, my Momma, who is a big reader of romantic suspense, absolutely loved it. And she looked at me like I was crazy when I said it was okay.

1 comment:

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio