Search Me!


Monday, November 18, 2013

Review: A Lady's Secret Weapon by Tracey Devlyn

A Lady’s Secret Weapon (Nexus, #3)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402258283
Pages: 363 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Series: Nexus Series- 1,2
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 2013, 2013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's


Seduction is His Duty to King and Country

Ethan deBeau has charmed his way into the beds of countless women, enticing them to whisper all kinds of state secrets in his ear. But his latest assignment is completely different: find a missing young boy. It's practically child's play for a master spy such as Ethan. Until Miss Sydney Hunt threatens to unravel all his carefully laid plans. Who in the world is this woman?

But Tempting Her is All for Pleasure

Sydney has worked hard to maintain a facade of respectability—all while keeping a network of contacts among London's underground world. When she hears of strange activities at a local home for orphans, she's determined to find out what's really going on. Until she runs headlong into a notorious rake eager to expose every inch of her...

My Review:

Beginning Babble: I read this one at the start of my epic writer's block so I have let this review stew for a while. I don't know whether that is a good or a bad thing but at least that travesty of a writer's block is over now.

Heroine: Sydney-I liked her a lot. She was smart, brave and all those good things but I loved that she had her own purpose. She was just as involved in the spy plot as Ethan was. It's so different from everything else I have been reading lately—many bodice rippers. I was so happy to see that she was not a damsel but a heroine in her own right.

Hero: Ethan-I liked him as well. I did. But not as much as I liked Sydney. There was just something missing with him. I mean, he was all of those good things-kind, brave, smoldery but there was something missing from him that made me really like him. I never really made a connection to him at all.

Chemistry: I didn't think it was lacking necessarily. I actually really liked Ethan and Sydney together but there was an element of “I want more of them.” They had this amazing chemistry and were really sweet together but I think it got a bit bogged down by the mystery. That's not necessarily a bad thing in a book where the mystery was done really well but I do prefer a more romance-focused book.

Chemistry Rating:

Ending Babble: I really did like this book. It was one of the rare occasions where the romance was not the part of the book that kept me interested. The mystery was and that is so totally odd for me. I do wish that there had been a bit more romance but overall it was okay that it played a background role. I will definitely continue following Tracey Devlyn's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio