Search Me!

Loading...

Friday, November 22, 2013

Review: When She Was Wicked by Anne Barton

When She Was Wicked (Honeycote, #1)Publisher: Forever
ISBN: 1455513326
Pages: 416 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Regency
Series: Honeycote
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 20132013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

SOME RULES SIMPLY BEG TO BE BROKEN

A dressmaker in London's busiest shop, Miss Anabelle Honeycote overhears the ton's steamiest secrets-and (occasionally) uses them to her advantage. It isn't something she's proud of, but the reluctant blackmailer needs the money to care for her gravely ill mother. To make up for her misdeeds, Anabelle keeps to a firm set of rules:

Never request payment from someone who cannot afford it.
Never reveal the secrets of a paying client.
Never enter into any form of social interaction with a client.

Her list keeps her (somewhat) honest-until she encounters Owen Sherbourne, the Duke of Huntford.

Not only does Owen nip Anabelle's extortion plans in the bud, the devilishly handsome Duke soon has the sexy seamstress dreaming of more than silks and satins. With Owen Anabelle enjoys pleasures she never imagined. . . until a scandal from the past resurfaces. Now her rules could mean his family's ruin. Owen's searing kisses carry the promise of passion, but how will he react when Anabelle's most devastating secret is finally revealed?

My Review:

Beginning Babble: I have to admit that I have read this book once already without reviewing it. The second time is the charm, I guess. I didn't really enjoy it the first time around. And to be honest, I don't even know why because this time I ended up loving it. In a big way. In a this is one of my reading highlights of the year way. In a Anne Barton is a new favorite author of mine and I will devour her books in a voracious kind of way.

Characters:

Heroine: Annabelle- She was one of my problems the first time around—based solely on margin notes. I couldn't make a connection to her and couldn't figure her out for the life of me. But, and I will be saying this a lot, it was completely different the second time around. She seemed a bit cold and withdrawn last time but now, I understood the reasons for her aloofness and empathized with her.

Hero: Owen-The one thing that did not change from my first reading to my last is my love for Owen. He was a pretty great hero. He was a bit stodgy—which I really like. But he did have a softer side even if it took a bit for it to be obvious. He is extremely protective of his sisters which just served to endear him to me more.

Chemistry: At first, I was kind of on the fence about the whole blackmail issue and how it would be used but I really love how Barton worked it in but didn't make it at all seedy or unsavory. It definitely added an extra dimension to Owen and Annabelle's relationship. I also loved how Owen's slight stodgy nature played against Annabelle's.

Chemistry Rating:

Ending Babble: I really did enjoy this one. I mean, it's nothing I haven't read before but it's done so well that I really don't care. The writing is excellent and the characters are so well-drawn. There is just enough angst to be interesting but not so much that it becomes exhausting. I also adore Anne Barton's writing style. It reminds me a lot of Lisa Kleypas' for some reason. Barton is definitely going on my auto-buy list...in a big way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio