Search Me!

Loading...

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Review: The Cowboy's Christmas Baby by Carolyn Brown

The Cowboy's Christmas Baby (Cowboys & Brides, #2)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402280491
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Romance/Contemporary/Western
Series: Cowboys & Brides-1
Challenges- 2013 150+ Challenge , 2013 Read-A-Latte Challenge ,Romance Reading Challenge 2013, 2013 Outdo Yourself Challenge
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's

Summary:

'Tis the season for...
A pistol-totin' woman who's no angel
A tough rancher who doesn't believe in miracles
Love that warms the coldest nights

After a year in Kuwait, Lucas Allen can't wait to get back to his ranch for Christmas and meet his gorgeous Internet pal in person.
When he pulls in, there's Natalie Clark right in his front yard with a pink pistol in her hand and a dead coyote at her feet.
Lucas is unfazed. But wait...is that a BABY in her arms?

 

My Review:

Beginning Babble: Usually Carolyn Brown is such a good bet for me. Her books very rarely fall short and I usually love her characters and stories. But this time, it was a bit difficult. I had a tough time making a connection to both the hero and heroine and as a result I had a tough time getting into the story.

Characters:
Heroine: Natalie
-To be honest, she gave me a headache. If I had to read about how incredibly strong and "rancher" she was, I was going to pull out my own teeth. I always get the feeling that if you have to tell me something over and over, it just ain't true. I didn't dislike her exactly but I found myself on the verge far too often.
Hero: Lucas-He worked my nerves too. But not as much as Natalie. He completely dismissed Natalie at first because she had a kid...that's just not a hero move. Yes, yes, I know she didn't tell him immediately but with the way reacted...who would? He kind of proved her point, didn't he?
Chemistry: I spent the majority of the book trying to get over my intense dislike for Natalie. That kind of takes my focus away from whatever chemistry Natalie and Lucas may or may not have. As a result, it felt kind of "meh" to me. Tolerable but it made writing this review difficult.
Chemistry Rating:

Ending Babble: I did like this book. It's definitely not one of my favorites and it had a lot of aspects that annoyed me. It had the adorable child who everyone loves and dotes on. I call it the "Michelle Complex". Too much focus is on how cute the kid is. I get it, he's cute...move on. Also, there was a little issue at the end of the book with Lucas' name. All of a sudden his first name was Justin. I don't think it's ever mentioned before that. It's almost like it was a spare plot point just added in for the cute factor. Kind of like "I know you think the hero's first name is Lucas but it's really Justin Lucas, so now the kid and him have the same initials, isn't that just the most adorable thing ever? really not. Maybe if I had known but I didn't and it frustrated me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio