Search Me!


Monday, February 17, 2014

Review: Gentlemen Prefer Mischief by Emily Greenwood

Gentlemen Prefer Mischief (Mischief, #2)Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
ISBN: 1402276346
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical
Series:  Mischief-1
Buy this Book: Amazon, Indiebound, Powell's


When Adversaries Clash, Mischief Ignites Passion...

If it hadn't been for the crazy rumors, Lily Teagarden would never have approached her neighbor, Hal, Viscount Roxham—the careless rogue who broke her fledgling heart. But strange noises and lights on his property are causing serious problems for her, and she needs his help.

Trouble is oh-so-diverting for Viscount Roxham, and what could be more amusing than investigating what's plaguing his prim, beautiful neighbor—haunted sheep, of all things. Every time he seems to make progress, though, she throws mischief in his path, and his attraction to her is becoming extremely distracting...too bad Lily's the only woman in England who doesn't think he's Lord Perfect.

My Review:

Intro Babble-I have been a bit delayed with this review. When writer's block hits it, apparently, can even prevent you from typing a review out properly. I absolutely loved the first book in this series, A Little Night Mischief, and I was looking forward to this one in a pretty heavy kind of way. In a “this could be a favorite author one day” kind of way.


Heroine: Lily-I love heroines who keep it very close to the vest and don't really dramatic about things. Lily was one of them. She was very proper and very restrained. I find that a welcome trait in heroines because then when they do show emotion , it is more profound. I do think she perhaps took it too far with punishing Roxham for breaking her heart. She was needlessly cruel at times and it just frustrated me.

Hero: Hal-I really loved him. He was much less buttoned up than Lily which provided a nice contrast in personalities. He was unrestrained and lively. He also was a pretty good dude and I felt myself feeling a little bit badly for him. He was basically clueless about Lily's feelings for him but gets a hard time from Lily because of it.

Chemistry-I didn't have a difficult time with these two really. I liked them both—together and apart. But I did have some trouble with Lily and her past crush on Hal. I wanted to thwap her upside the head at times because she wasn't always nice to him and came off as judgmental and callous. Oddly enough, this didn't detract from my enjoyment of he book or how much I loved this couple.

Chemistry Rating:

Ending Babble: I am officially a huge fan of Emily Greenwood. It usually takes an author about a half a dozen books for me to declare him/her “Auto-Buy” but I think I am going to do that here. I loved this book. Even with my quibbles with Lily. The writing was spot-on and I loved Hal. I also found the whole unrequited childhood crush aspect very appealing. I cannot wait for the next book in this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Template by In Between Design Studio