Search Me!

Loading...

Monday, June 8, 2015

Review: To Ride a White Horse by Pamela Ford

To Ride a White HorsePublisher: Aine Press
ISBN: 9780990594222
Pages: 376 pages
Genre: Romance/Historical/Irish
Buy this Book: Amazon,

Summary:

Your feet will bring you to where your heart is.

Set against the backdrop of 1840s Ireland and America, To Ride a White Horse is an epic historical saga of hope, loyalty, the strength of the human spirit, and the power of love.

With Ireland ravaged by famine, and England unsympathetic to its plight, Kathleen Deacey, a spirited and strong-willed young Irish woman faces a devastating choice—leave her country to find work or risk dying there. Despising the English for refusing to help Ireland, she sets sail for Canada, determined to save her family and find her missing fiancé.

But her voyage doesn't go as planned and she ends up in America, forced to accept the help of an English whaling captain, Jack Montgomery, to survive. As Jack helps her search for her fiancé and fight to save her family and country, she must make an impossible choice—remain loyal to Ireland or follow her heart.

With insight and compassion, award-winning author Pamela Ford captures the anguish of a devastating period in Irish history, illuminates the resilience of the human spirit and celebrates the strength of love. To Ride a White Horse is a deeply-moving novel that wraps itself around the heart and doesn't let go.

My Review:

Intro: It’s been so long since I read a historical fiction. So long that it’s almost a bit shameful. But I was especially intrigued with this one because I love Irish history and I love historical fiction about it. I mean, Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly is still one of my favorite books and this one goes right up there with it.

Characters:

Heroine: Kathleen: Kathleen was such an amazing heroine. She was strong and vivacious. She had such a strong spirit to her that I just loved. She is one of those characters that I will remember long after I have finished this book.

Hero: Jack-I don’t think I have ever come across a hero named Jack that I did not like. I mean it started with Newsies and progressed from there. Jack was such an amazing hero with just as strong a personality as Kathleen. He was the perfect blend of strength and sweetness with a touch of humor.

Chemistry: They were oh so perfect together. I just loved their journey together. You see them progress from friendship and it is just so realistic and perfectly told. I almost always forget a couple after I finish read their book but I don’t think I will forget them.

Chemistry Rating: 


Conclusion: I loved To Ride a White Horse from the beginning to the very last page. It was written beautifully—I found myself highlighting some passages in the book because of the sheer beauty and I never do that-- and I fell in love with Kathleen and Jack. It’s a book I will pick up again and again. I very rarely find books like that so I feel sort of an accomplished joy when I do. 

Overall Rating

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of books set in Ireland - I just love it there!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by In Between Design Studio